The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 3, 2024, 01:28 AM   #1
FrankenMauser

Air Gap - rehash of a dead horse's beating

Alright, I know the conventional wisdom is that an air gap in BP loads is a pipe bomb death sentence.

But is it really?

I have recently been loading homemade BP in my .577/450 Martini Henry, which was very easy with which to eliminate air gaps, since my amateur methods resulted in rather low density BP (but fast burn rate).

I have been reading reports all over the place, from books, to forums, to discord posts, to the distant tendrils of the interwebs.
Nothing agrees.

The only commonality is:
-People that think air gap is bad have never tried it. Or, they're referencing old reports that were small granulation (3f or finer) with a notable air gap to the projectile. More often than not, the "failed" firearm is a handgun or small bore rifle.
-People regularly shooting air gap loads in cartridges with no ill effect, but almost exclusively large capacity, large bore rifles, using 1F or 1.5F BP.

It is too late (literally, I need to go to bed) for me to go digging for references, but there were supposedly 19th century standard .577 Snider and .577/450 loads that had air gaps.

Where does this "air gap danger" come from?
And is it real?
Old May 3, 2024, 04:52 AM   #2
ligonierbill

The Bevel Bros in Muzzleblasts reported on this as related to muzzleloaders some months back. No, no pipe bomb. I've done it unintentionally in a front stuffer, and what you will get is lower and inconsistent velocity. I load 577/450 myself: 70 gr Black MZ (still have some) and stuffed with tow. The old cordite rounds were, I believe, filled with kapok. They work fine. No worries. All you're doing is holding the powder in place.
Old May 3, 2024, 08:09 AM   #3
mehavey

No.

As noted by the fact that every Sharps carbine loads with loose powder/inherent gap(s) in the ignition chamber.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:08 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The old cordite rounds were, I believe, filled with kapok.
Yea, kapok or cotton wool.
I am using wool roving in loads with Swiss 1F, to reduce fire danger on our range and in the field. The risk is still there, but reduced. Probably isn't going to smell very good.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:55 AM   #5
Hawg

The air gap is overrated. A non issue in a revolver, cartridge or C&B. I'm not sure how much of a gap it would take to bulge a rifle barrel but I think it would have to be a gap measured in inches. I used to buy into the air gap deal until I got a 63 Sharps. The chamber held 110 grains of powder with a bullet seated. The factory recommendation was 80 grains but specified the powder had to touch the bullet. However there were countless videos of people shooting them with 60-80 grain charges and bumping the butt on the ground to get the powder against the breech.
Old May 3, 2024, 03:15 PM   #6
Jim Watson

And Scheutzen shooters usually breech seat which about insures a gap between the over powder wad and the bullet.

The Swiss .41 Federal uses the Wild System ramrod with a stop to place the ball about
.10" over the the standard powder charge.

Yet there is a guy mentioned on the Shiloh board who says he can ring a chamber on demand.

A friend loaned out his TC Hawken and got it back with a bulge in the barrel. Seems the user had failed to get a ball all the way down a fouled bore and had elected to shoot it out.

I have gotten best accuracy in BPCR with the bullet down on a card wad with the Swiss powder only compressed about the thickness of the wad.
Old May 5, 2024, 07:36 PM   #7
5whiskey

Interesting. I've only been shooting BP for 7 or 8 years, and I haven't jumped in on BP cartridges yet (excluding paper cartridges I've made a few of those). I've just always generally believed that an air gap is bad. Interesting if it isn't quite as dangerous as what I've believed.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 6, 2024, 01:56 PM   #8
deerslayer303

https://youtu.be/icolNUAY5ig?si=-E07Fvkf89OxdDOa
Old May 6, 2024, 05:09 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
Thanks for posting that. So 35 or so inches of air space won't bulge a barrel. Good to know.
Old May 7, 2024, 07:39 PM   #10
Deltadart

Hawg, as long as the barrel is 32 inches long it will not.
Old May 8, 2024, 01:38 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadart View Post
Hawg, as long as the barrel is 32 inches long it will not.
So why would 32 inches not bulge but 24 would?
Old May 8, 2024, 05:22 AM   #12
ligonierbill

He's making a funny. Find the Bevel Brothers' article and enjoy.