The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
alston73

Here's a link to the best torture test for a Glock

I know, I know, competing board, but there's not a better link to a torture test(s) out there...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=462537
Old November 26, 2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Glock is Perfection

OMG....that's wonderful...I feel even better as I sit here with my plastic piece!
Old November 26, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
UH1-D Rotorhead

Someone did a very similar torture test on a ...

....XD 45 ACP Service model, but elected to go with a "real" torture test...they thought the Glock torture test was too easy for the XD>
Old November 26, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Not a "competing board". The gun boards don't compete. They are completely passive with respect to one another, except when one needs server help or something and another come to their aid. Members may compete ON the boards or go to one board to bash another, but the board owners and staff pretty much respect each other's space and methods.

I wonder if that's been posted here before? Nah!
Old November 27, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
shooter71

why would you shoot a gun with a 22? thats kinda dumb even at 30ft..hello riccochet
Old November 27, 2006, 10:02 PM   #6
'75Scout

Looks like he hates his gun. I really respect the Glocks and would be happy to carry one if I had to storm the gates of hell, but I still prefer the feel of a Sig.
Old November 27, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7
grimjaw

....XD 45 ACP Service model, but elected to go with a "real" torture test...they thought the Glock torture test was too easy for the XD

Would you care to post a link for that? I'd be interested to read about it.

jm
Old November 28, 2006, 12:01 AM   #8
Tibu

Quote:
....XD 45 ACP Service model, but elected to go with a "real" torture test...they thought the Glock torture test was too easy for the XD

Would you care to post a link for that? I'd be interested to read about it.

jm
I second this
Old November 28, 2006, 12:19 AM   #9
King_chin0

Geez, heres another XD vs Glock debate......sigh....

not a XD hater or a glock lover, just for the fact that it is about glocks, not XDs

Maybe an XD lover would like to post an XD torture test similar to this then the Glock lovers can refer to this thread, and the XD lovers can refer to that thread, so we can go back and forth ALLLLLL day
Old November 28, 2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Alerion

All I know is that I wouldn't buy a used car (or gun) from bigbore!

Tom
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill. -John Prine, Paradise
Old November 28, 2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Rugged

Quote:
why would you shoot a gun with a 22? thats kinda dumb even at 30ft..hello riccochet
In case you need to use it for a deflector shield. sheesh!
Old November 28, 2006, 10:20 PM   #12
billy1258

Quote:
Hit it 10 times before I lost my nerve and didn't want to risk hitting the frame.
Wonder why he didn't want to hit the frame? Oh, that's right, it's plastic

I would have liked to see how the gun would have done if it were in a fire for a minute or two. He did ice, how come no fire?

As impressive as the test looks (and I must admit it does look impressive), I think it would be more meaningful if other types of guns were tested side by side. This guy should have his own web site that tests all different types of handguns using the same test methodology. Then we would be better able to determine the "better" handgun. Or, at least the most durable.

I wonder how the Jennings would do in a test like that.
Old November 29, 2006, 10:54 AM   #13
firemedic1975

That would be a good idea if you could do that test to a bunch of guns just to see how they would take it.
You HAVE to stand for something or you WILL fall for anything!!! American by birth SOUTHERN by the Grace of God!!! Colt Double Eagle .45, Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45, Sig 226 9mm, Ruger G100 .357 mag, S&W Airweight .38+p, Glock 23, Berretta Neo .22, (2) Yugo SKS's, 12 gauge Winchester 3 in, Marlin 30-30, H&K G-3 (91)
Old November 29, 2006, 07:33 PM   #14
alston73

My point here really with the original post was to show that Glock is serious equipment.
Old November 30, 2006, 03:23 AM   #15
40MM

http://springfield-armory.primediaou...SPstory11.html

Here is the XD link.
Old November 30, 2006, 03:45 AM   #16
Pucker

Anyone else want a glock now?

I would love to see the same tests applied to a p220, 1911, xd, and an M&P.

And as for the xd tests, for some reason I feel like bigbore had a more punishing test.

Wow
Old December 1, 2006, 02:15 AM   #17
9x19

The FBI's Field Suitability Evaluation was pretty rigourous as well.

When the FBI tested the Glock models 22 and 23, they did abuse testing, a parts interchangeability test, exposure tests, an obstructed bore test, a Field Suitability Evaluation plus accuracy and endurance tests. In addition, all pistols had to have a service life of 10,000 rounds.

Glock’s 22 and 23 met or exceeded all requirements.

The Field Suitability Evaluation used agents of different size, height, weight, and sex who put 250 rounds thru three of each model pistol. This included a 30 round bullseye course, then 2 10 round strings from the holster at the FBI Q target from 10 yards, then fired two more 10 round strings from the ready position. They also fired five 10 round strings from ten yards as fast as they could fire and reload. Another two 10 round strings were fired from prone at Q targets 50 yards away, Finally, they shot two 50 round FBI qualification courses. FBI gunsmiths also fired the pistols from bench and Ransom rests for accuracy.

Abuse tests included: They field stripped three guns, and swapped parts among them, then fired 20 rounds from each without failure. Two of the pistols were put into a freezer to –20F for one hour, then immediately withdrawn and fired, next they went in an oven at 120F for one hour and immediately withdrawn and fired. With the pistol containing primed cartridge in their chamber, and dummy rounds in the mags, they were next dropped, twice at each orientation, onto concrete from a height of four feet: muzzle down, muzzle up, on their right side, on their left side, sights down, and squarely on the butt. Immediately following this, the cases were examined for primer indents then the pistols were fired with 20 rounds to ensure proper functioning.

The guns, loaded again with primed cartridges in their chambers, and dummy rounds in the mags, were tossed from a height of four feet, to a distance of 15 feet onto concrete, landing twice each on their right and left sides. The guns could not fire and the magazines had to stay in place. Immediately following this, the cases were examined for primer indents then the pistols were fired with 20 rounds to ensure proper functioning. Two magazines, loaded with dummy ammo were also dropped, twice at each orientation, onto concrete from a height of four feet onto their base plates and onto their feed lips. They could not lose a round and were then tested by firing 10 rounds each without a malfunction.

They also dunked them in salt water for 5 minutes, pulled them out, shook them for 15 seconds, rinsed them with clear water and let them sit for 24 hours then fired 20 rounds without malfunction (shrug). One of the three guns was cleaned, lubed and loaded then put in a box containing half play sand and half road sand, and covered up. It was removed shaken out and fired until empty. The last abuse test had a bullet lodged in the barrel, one inch in front of the chamber. Then one round of service ammunition was fired with the obstruction in place. The pistol could not rupture or fragment the frame slide or barrel. As an added test five more rounds were fired after the first round cleared the barrel obstruction.

The endurance test meant firing 10,000 rounds thru each of the six pistols. No major parts replacements were allowed, including magazines, and the malfunction rate could not be greater than 1 in 2000 rounds. The pistols never missed a beat, with zero malfunctions in 60,000 rounds. They were then fired with another 10,000 rounds, for a total of 20,000 rounds each, and a grand total of 120,000 rounds (that’s 145 five gallon buckets of empty brass). One model 22 needed a new trigger bar after 17,131 rounds and another 22 needed a trigger bar after 19,494 rounds. The other model 22 and all three model 23s made it thru all 20,000 rounds without a failure. Following the endurance tests, the pistols were once again tested for accuracy and passed (4” at 25 yards with a variety of ammo from 155 to 180 grain bullet weights).