View Single Post
Old April 4, 2024, 08:32 AM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by 44 AMP
OK, so current available information is that there are no gun shops in Chicago, which means no Glocks are sold in Chicago, and so the only business Glock does (has ever done??) in Chicago is their contract with the city government of Chicago.

SO, what we have is a city suing a manufacturer that does no business with the public within city limits.....How do they even have legal standing???
Quote:
Also in the reporting of this is the statement that the Chicago lawsuit admits that the "Glock Switches" are coming from China.

Get that point? From China, not from Glock. SO WHY is Chicago suing Glock and NOT SUING CHINA????

I realize the real world answer is probably "because they can" and "China won't care about our lawsuit", but in legal terms, why is CHINA not being sued for what they are DOING and Glock is being sued for something they DID NOT DO???
This is how you run a shakedown via lawsuits. I've seen and heard of lots of cases of this when people sue doctors and hospitals. Basically, you sue for some ridiculous amount of money that, even if you had a legitimate case, no judge would ever award to you. The organization you're suing then offers you substantially less to settle out of court because, even though they know they could win in court, the settlement costs less in both money and bad publicity than fighting your lawsuit would. Chicago may very well know that they have no legitimate case nor even standing for one, but they're hoping that Glock will throw some money at them to make them shut up and go away rather than pay lots of lawyers to fight it out in court while having their name drug through the mud in the process.

Like I said, Chicago politicians love nothing more than extorting money out of people and if they can do it to a gun maker and score some political points, all the better in their minds. I personally hope that Glock is smart enough to realize that spending the time and money to fight this will be worth it in the long run because I predict that if they roll over and pay the Chicago extortionists off, it will only cause elected extortionists in other jurisdictions to try the same stunt not only with Glock but with other gun makers too.

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 8 queries