The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 12, 2024, 10:52 AM   #26
Ricklin

03 Colt

The grand old 1903 Colt carries very well, flatter than a fritter is very helpful. By today's standards it is big, heavy, and underpowered. But it does carry nicely.
My light duty carry is a Ruger LCP, I force myself to run a magazine through it every range trip. Rather like being punished.
Old April 12, 2024, 07:07 PM   #27
Straitshot

I am of the opinion that a heaver handgun absorbs recoil better than light ones and therefore offers a faster target acquisition for follow up shots, therefore, my favorite CC is my Sig P-238 Spartan with a steel frame and slide.

Last edited by Straitshot; April 12, 2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old April 14, 2024, 04:45 AM   #28
Dead-Nuts-Zero

HTML Code:
I like the M&P Bodyguard 380 too, very easy to carry in a pocket holster, and way 
more accurate than a pistol that size has any right to be.
Ridgerunner665 - Can't think of a better way to express my thoughts (above) on a Bodyguard 380.

I carry in pocket holster and shoot it nearly every time I go to range. It even shoots decent at 50 - 75 even 100 yds with some practice (just for fun).

I like the double action hammer but the trigger does suck.
Old April 14, 2024, 08:34 AM   #29
Nathan

Quote:
But I will use this phrase, from Clint Smith I think, to make my point "Comfort and convenience are poor measures for determining what type of handgun you carry for self defense". If you need a handgun to save your life or that of ones you love, you really need it. Correspondingly, you thus need a handgun that gives the best opportunity with which you can fight and win. By almost any measure, a larger handgun is easier to shoot well. Depending on model and caliber, a larger gun may be of bigger caliber and have a higher magazine capacity. More the better.
With all due respect, Clint Smith’s heyday was a few years past. I don’t think his writings match the context of today where a 12 shot, compact in 9mm shooting FBI test capable ammo in an extremely easy to shoot platform was common. Today you have a plethora of P365, Shield Plus, etc guns.

While I still carry large guns on occasion, 10+ 9mm rounds does well enough.
Old April 14, 2024, 01:14 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

NONE of the above-mentioned guns are as small, thin, lightweight as the Keltec P32. Because it is (the only) locked breech .32 acp, recoil is very manageable. The pre-cocked DA trigger is very manageable.

The OP was speaking of the .32 acp Beretta Tomcat, which has ended up being a thick, heavy gun.
Old April 14, 2024, 07:30 PM   #31
Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
NONE of the above-mentioned guns are as small, thin, lightweight as the Keltec P32. Because it is (the only) locked breech .32 acp, recoil is very manageable. The pre-cocked DA trigger is very manageable.

The OP was speaking of the .32 acp Beretta Tomcat, which has ended up being a thick, heavy gun.
Hasn't the P32 been discontinued?
Old April 15, 2024, 09:59 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

No, the P32 has not been discontinued.

The P3AT has been.
Old April 16, 2024, 11:18 AM   #33
Tool

Thanks.

It is amazing that they could design it in a way so that recoil is manageable in a pistol that is only 7oz.
Old April 16, 2024, 06:25 PM   #34
WheelGunMan

I have a Kimber Micro, a LCP Max and a LCP. Out of all three I prefer the LCP Max with a 10 round mag.. I can get 2 ½ fingers out of three for a good grip and I shoot it well. I carry it IWB Appendix as well as pocket carry. When clothes dictate deeper cover I prefer the LCP.. I often carry it sans holster in my trousers front pocket. The safety on the Kimber Micro is to easy to knock off and that, coupled with the short, light trigger stroke makes it uncomfortable for me to pocket carry.
Old April 18, 2024, 12:49 AM   #35
bamaranger

heydays

Yeah, OK, to each his own, and like I stated, I would rather have good folks armed, than unarmed. If one insists on carrying a micro, best of luck.

The FBI has told us before what was best, until it failed or they found something new and "better". I'm very careful about drinking their kool-aid.

Carry what you want, but I maintain that one will shoot (and fight) better with a full sized gun.
Old April 18, 2024, 10:33 AM   #36
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
I really like Beretta Tomcat, which is <5 inch in length and weighs as little as 14.5 oz unloaded. The Ruger LCP max is even lighter at 10.6 oz.

However, due to my limited knowledge in guns, I wonder if there are better options out there? Many thanks.
The question is: For what purpose?

As a SD carry, the micro .380 is all but useless.

For any reasonable performance, it needs a > 3.5" Bbl., and careful attention to ammo selection.

That said, a 3" Bbl'ed 9mm, especially w/ 147 gr. subsonic ammo, works just fine.

So, my choice for a micro CCW is the Sig P-938, loaded with Federal std. pressure 147 gr. HST.

It is small, ~ 19.5 oz. loaded 6+1, and supremely precise, with accuracy better than most service pistols.

Red
Old April 18, 2024, 08:06 PM   #37
reynolds357

Glock 42 is as "micro" as I go.
Old April 18, 2024, 09:19 PM   #38
Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
The question is: For what purpose?

As a SD carry, the micro .380 is all but useless.

For any reasonable performance, it needs a > 3.5" Bbl., and careful attention to ammo selection.

That said, a 3" Bbl'ed 9mm, especially w/ 147 gr. subsonic ammo, works just fine.

So, my choice for a micro CCW is the Sig P-938, loaded with Federal std. pressure 147 gr. HST.

It is small, ~ 19.5 oz. loaded 6+1, and supremely precise, with accuracy better than most service pistols.

Red
It seems that P938 is a solid choice. Many thanks.
Old April 18, 2024, 09:28 PM   #39
Bill DeShivs

"The micro .380 is all but useless."
Statements like this are ridiculous. Do micro .380 bullets just bounce off?
Old April 19, 2024, 05:25 PM   #40
ligonierbill

I usually carry a KelTec PF9. It's not exactly comfortable to shoot, but it almost always fits in my pocket. If it doesn't, the P32 is my choice. That will always fit somewhere. Sure, these are "last ditch" guns, but if you're shooting in public spaces, it's close and desperate.
Old April 19, 2024, 06:58 PM   #41
FITASC

Quote:
My light duty carry is a Ruger LCP, I force myself to run a magazine through it every range trip. Rather like being punished.
I find the LCP to be TOO small for ease of shooting past 3 yards; it is a painful experience to say the least. In that small of a gun, a 32ACP might be a better choice.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 19, 2024, 09:16 PM   #42
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm very fond of my Taurus PT-22.

I've carried it in a pocket holster for many years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 23, 2024, 06:51 PM   #43
JERRYS.

LWS32 and reluctantly LWS380 were my go to mini pocket guns. The LWS32 holds this role exclusively for a semiauto. Revolver choice is a mod. 351C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9298.JPG (151.6 KB, 16 views)
Old April 25, 2024, 08:32 AM   #44
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
I usually carry a KelTec PF9. It's not exactly comfortable to shoot, but it almost always fits in my pocket. If it doesn't, the P32 is my choice. That will always fit somewhere. Sure, these are "last ditch" guns, but if you're shooting in public spaces, it's close and desperate.
I'm going to keep shooting and carrying my PF9 until Keltec tells me they can't rebuild it anymore. I shoot it well. It carries well.
Old April 25, 2024, 03:47 PM   #45
fisherman66

I carry a Kahr PM9 with combination dayglow/nightsights. I’d really like a P380 with the same sights to keep in my budgie smuggler.