The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2024, 12:39 AM   #1
coyotes220

9.3x72r reload question.

Has anyone ever reloaded 9.3x72r without the proper dies? They're high dollar IF you can find any. First I plan on trying .357 dies and a Lyman 358429 powder coated to .361 or 2 ish in my .366 slugged bore. Will be using universal decapper and hoping FL resizing won't be needed at the very low pressures. If that fails I'll be going another route. 9.3x57R? Maybe? I'm only guessing, that's why I'm wanting to draw from REAL experience.
Old April 25, 2024, 03:28 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I had to look that one up. If we are talking the same round, it is a long tapered case, (might be called straight because it has no shoulder) but it is tapered, not straight.

First questions, what rifle do you have and do you have boxer primed brass??

The .357 specs .379" at the case mouth. The data I have says the 9.3x70R is .386". Neck sizing using .357 dies is probably possible but the die is going to squeeze the 9.3 brass down further than it should.

My experience with cast bullets is that they should be bore size or better yet .001-.002 larger. .361-.362" bullets would be undersized for a .366" bore and poor accuracy and bad leading are the likely result.

9.3x57 is a rimless bottle necked case, and about a half inch shorter than 9.3x70R. 9.3x57R is the same case with a rim for single shot actions. Might be possible to set those dies to neck size the 70R case, I can't say for sure.

Getting a proper FL die set for your caliber is expensive, true, but how many sets are you going to buy. One, properly cared for will out last you, and it adds considerable value (and sales appeal) to your rifle if, in the future you decide to sell it.

Good Luck with your project, sorry I can't be of more help.
Old April 25, 2024, 08:01 AM   #3
ligonierbill

You're talking the old blackpowder round, not the more modern 9.3x74R, correct? Here's a suggestion, based on my experience with what I call my 11.9x51R. The guy who sold it to me had a chamber cast and provided a partial box of 11.7x51R Danish. They fired OK, but the neck expanded more than that, and the bore slugged 0.470 (11.9 mm). I didn't size the fired cases at all. I found some 0.459 cast bullets at Buffalo Arms (350 grain, meant for the Danish) and paper patched them. Forget what I seated them with, but something close. The old buffalo hunters just hand seated their paper patched bullets. Loaded 60 gr 1 1/2Fg, and they work great. I've since cast some actual 0.470s but haven't tested them yet.

Buffalo Arms sells the onion skin paper needed, and I'm sure there are other sources. Paper patching requires a little practice, but is really pretty easy. I'm assuming you have fired cases.
Old April 25, 2024, 10:23 AM   #4
coyotes220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
You're talking the old blackpowder round, not the more modern 9.3x74R, correct? Here's a suggestion, based on my experience with what I call my 11.9x51R. The guy who sold it to me had a chamber cast and provided a partial box of 11.7x51R Danish. They fired OK, but the neck expanded more than that, and the bore slugged 0.470 (11.9 mm). I didn't size the fired cases at all. I found some 0.459 cast bullets at Buffalo Arms (350 grain, meant for the Danish) and paper patched them. Forget what I seated them with, but something close. The old buffalo hunters just hand seated their paper patched bullets. Loaded 60 gr 1 1/2Fg, and they work great. I've since cast some actual 0.470s but haven't tested them yet.

Buffalo Arms sells the onion skin paper needed, and I'm sure there are other sources. Paper patching requires a little practice, but is really pretty easy. I'm assuming you have fired cases.
I often forget about the sales appeal you mentioned and concentrate on saving that buck. you bring up a very good point, most people want the proper dies. Finding them actually in stock is an issue thus far. Rifle is an under lever, break open single shot said to be of German origin. It's 9.3x72R (seventy two) and not the Sauer branded one, mine is just plain.9.3x72 Boxer brass. the Sauer one is different dimensions. I know that 357 mag dies and bullets will be a bit small but it's just a thought I've had that hasn't been tried yet and may be horrible if attempted. As for paper patching a smaller bullet I'm not opposed to it but would rather not because I'm already slow enough. I'll likely be looking for proper dies now that you mentioned the plus sides to it.
Old April 25, 2024, 10:24 AM   #5
coyotes220

And also looking for bullets or a mould of proper diameter.
Old April 25, 2024, 10:27 AM   #6
coyotes220

And I should've said I'm not totally opposed to paper patching, just a little opposed.
Old April 25, 2024, 10:41 AM   #7
coyotes220

The reply wasn't meant for you ligonierbill, my mistake. It was meant for 44 AMP. I was addressing things you didn't say.
Old April 25, 2024, 11:58 AM   #8
stagpanther

CAUTION: The following post includes load data generated by calculation in QuickLOAD (QL) or Gordon Reloading Tool (GRT) software is based on particular powder lots, the assumption the primer is as mild as possible, and assumptions about component, chamber and gun geometry that may not correspond well to what you have. Such data should be approached by working up from published starting loads. USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL, nor QL's author or distributor nor GRT's author assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information or information derived from it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (238.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; April 25, 2024 at 11:40 PM.
Old April 25, 2024, 12:15 PM   #9
ligonierbill

Buffalo Arms has CH4D dies. Not cheap, but you only buy them once.
Old April 25, 2024, 01:26 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

Hornady will make you custom dies if you send them 3 pieces of brass fired in your gun. You can get individual dies or sets. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/custom-dies#!/
Old April 25, 2024, 02:55 PM   #11
coyotes220

I seen buffalo arms dies but they appear to be for a .360 bullet, mine barrel slugged.366. Id love to read the specs on that 9.3x57 but it's too blurry. If I could a die to seat and crimp I'd be golden. I hope FL resizing won't be needed
Old April 25, 2024, 03:03 PM   #12
stagpanther

Just enlarge the page--should be able to make it out.
Old April 25, 2024, 11:52 PM   #13
coyotes220

I can see it when expanded just good enough to see it's the bottle neck 9.3x57r, not the straight wall, tapered case i speak of. A seating/crimping die for it might work on my 9.3x72 though, bullet diameter and outside mouth diameter being the only important measurements. I was hoping to bump into someone who has actually done it to confirm.