The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 17, 2024, 01:19 PM   #51
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I just purchased an Argos BTR Gen2
1-8x24
. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.
I ran an LPVO on a 30-30 for a while. Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.
Old April 17, 2024, 01:20 PM   #52
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
USAF Ret I just ordered a Rossi R95 because I liked your groups so much. I ordered my gun from Buds. Buds had them marked for just a little over $660 and I had a $10 off coupon. So I bought the gun. It should be here in a couple of weeks since I paid by check to save the CC fees.

I just got a Vortex 2-7x32 scope a couple of days ago and that scope will go on the gun. I hope my gun shoots as well as yours and also shoots the lead bullet loads I have made up but haven't tried yet.
Note: After shooting a few times, check all the action screws. Mine came loose. If it does it again I am going to put some LocTite on them.
Old April 18, 2024, 04:24 PM   #53
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Note: After shooting a few times, check all the action screws. Mine came loose. If it does it again I am going to put some LocTite on them.
In addition to cleaning the bore on any new gun I always check (tighten) all the screws I can easily reach. The factory assemblers mostly use electric screwdrivers and I think they keep the torque dialed back to avoid damaging a screw slot. The last new gun I did that with I was able to at least get a little movement on every screw, up to a half turn on one or two.