The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 2, 2024, 10:40 AM   #1
yahamshari

2024 Scammer Alert

I would like to alert other members of this forum that I came across a scammer whose common MO is to join on the same day multiple online firearms, hunting, and even model train forums. He then researches the specific forum’s rules such as the requirement to create 20 to 50 short online posts in order to establish himself on the forum and potentially be allowed to contact other members and ultimately be granted access by the site Admin to the Marketplace page. He then searches for members who posted a "Want to Buy" ad on the board. He then contacts his potential victims using the same introductory message, e.g., “Hello, if you’re still looking and may consider shipping, I can help out with a lead, you can reach out to Sean in Pennsylvania he has the ______________ for sale this is his email address [email protected] good luck” or “Hi I can help out with a lead if you’re still looking and may consider shipping, you can reach out to Owen in Ohio he has the _________________ for sale kindly send him a text message this is his phone number (513) 743-0096.”

When the potential victim initiates the inquiry, the referrer who is also the scammer searches online for images of the product the potential victim is interested in buying. The scammer snatches non-watermarked images of the product, uses Photoshop to place a sticky note complete with underneath shadow effect and a written day's date and the target victim's first name. He emails the photoshopped images to the victim with the asking price, shipping method, and payment method.

There are already a handful of Scammer Alerts online about this particular scammer. Some of his online usernames/handles include (jadenbem and Oriade), email ([email protected]), fake full name (Sean Dani Tallman), and a Cincinnati, OH telephone number (513-743-0096) that he lets roll to voicemail. He then asks his potential victims to send the funds via Venmo to "Daisy," his girlfriend. Her Venmo tag is @Daisybabygirl001

Once the transfer of funds is complete, the scammer goes silent. No products are ever shipped. This scammer has been busy scamming his victims since 2019 and has not been caught yet. We have his IP address and know his actual location. https://imgur.com/WikDXkn

Last edited by yahamshari; March 2, 2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old March 2, 2024, 11:25 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

We are well aware of these scammers and usually are able to spot them when they register, but some have gotten through.

If any TFL member ever has a funny feeling about any Gun Show forum ad, always report the post to us using the "Report Post" function - don't post about it in the public thread. We take quick and thorough action on those reports. If the new member is found to be a scammer, they don't get very far here. But if they aren't reported, an unwitting member may lose their money.
Old March 3, 2024, 02:09 PM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
send the funds via Venmo
If the only payment option is electronic like Zelle, Venmo, Paypal, or similar - RUN AWAY. Any legit seller will take credit cards or at least a USPS MO
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 18, 2024, 07:25 PM   #4
Ricklin

FITASC hit the nail on the head. Don't be a sucker. The only payment option being instant transfer of funds is a giant waving red flag. The smart thing to do today? Buy the vendor, before you buy anything else.
Old March 19, 2024, 07:39 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

As noted, we've spotted a bunch of these scammers. Nonetheless, we appreciate it when our members report them. It makes our lives easier.
Old April 2, 2024, 10:14 AM   #6
yahamshari

FYI - The subject scammer is back on various forums with a new username. It's Pshoot. He now suggests to his potential victims to reach out to [email protected].