The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #51
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
Rifle Lovers:

I'm interested in acquiring a lever action rifle chambered in 357. My 357 handguns also accommodate 38 special. I'm assuming that would be true for a rifle as well. Is this a correct assumption?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Correct assumption.

I just (a month or so ago) picked up a 16" Rossi R92 in .357. Yes, an "Illinois friendly PCC solution". Fun gun. I've got ~50 round through it so far, mixed .38 and .357. No problem cycling any of it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #52
Pumpkin

My brother in law’s Marlin 44mag with a Micro Groove barrel shoots and feeds the old discontinued Speer 225 SWCHP Half Jacket very well and has from day one. So much so he bought a bunch more of those bullets way back then.
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #53
Hellcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Correct assumption.

I just (a month or so ago) picked up a 16" Rossi R92 in .357. Yes, an "Illinois friendly PCC solution". Fun gun. I've got ~50 round through it so far, mixed .38 and .357. No problem cycling any of it.
Again, as I mentioned in Post #14 of this thread, not all .357s can handle .38 Special.

Frank
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Again, as I mentioned in Post #14 of this thread, not all .357s can handle .38 Special.
What the maker marks on the gun and what the gun can "handle" are not always exactly the same thing.

There is a difference between can't and won't, just as there is a difference between must not and should not.

A gun that can safety chamber and fire a round "handles it". A gun that does that but does not reliably feed or extract, goes into the "should not" group.
Old Today, 06:47 PM   #55
The Verminator

For the first year or two the Marlins were not marked to use .38 Special.

I had a couple, but I never shot any .38 so I don't know if changes were made or if it was just an oversight.