The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2023, 08:25 PM   #1
slpenney

Looking for a legitimate powder funnel for 22 cal

Just acquired a dandy Ruger M77/22 in .22 Hornet. Starting the process of adding to my reloading gear to be able to successfully load this caliber.
Just realized I may need a powder funnel which is small enough to seal around the top of the neck of a 22 cal. cartridge. Looked at Midway and saw a Lee powder funnel for 22 to 45 cal cartridges. Went to look and I have been using one of them for years for my .243, .270 and 30-06.
When I checked the fit over the mouth of a .22 Hornet casing, there is not a tight fit, and I suspect it will be spilling powder down into my loading block.
Can someone with .22 cal. loading experience point me in the right direction to come up with the appropriate funnel ( I don't do progressive loading)?
Would appreciate any help offered, thanks.
Old August 5, 2023, 08:33 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

Maybe the mtm funnel kit? Has some adapters for different neck sizes .
Old August 5, 2023, 09:16 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I load 223 and do not have any issues. My thinking is a 0.17 diameter funnel should work better for you. Midsouth sells the linked funnel set for $6.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...der-funnel-set
Old August 5, 2023, 09:49 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I use the Satern although not on Hornet. Might ask before you buy, it is more expensive than the usual plastic funnel.

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/produ...-powder-funnel
Old August 6, 2023, 12:56 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

back when I started reloading, I got a CH powder funnel. Its a red translucent plastic goes from .22 to .45 caliber, and I'm still using it. I do load for the .22 Hornet (as well as .222, .223, and .22-250) the old funnel works fine with all of them.

Hornet brass is nearly paper thin at the case mouth, extreme care is needed the cases crumple easily. Don't treat it like bigger tougher cases, use care, work slowly just barely seat the bullet then check to make sure its perfectly straight and seat is slowly when it is. I recommend a generous chamfer of the case mouth to ease bullet starting.

Larger cases with thicker case necks will often straighten a slightly tipped bullet during seating. The Hornet won't, the case will buckle and be ruined. Expect that, and take the needed care so it doesn't happen often.

Good Luck! The Hornet is waay cool, and I think its a better option than downloading a larger round.
Old August 6, 2023, 08:19 AM   #6
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I use the Satern although not on Hornet. Might ask before you buy, it is more expensive than the usual plastic funnel.

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/produ...-powder-funnel
I'll second the Satern funnels. I have them for .22 and .30 cal. No spillage and no static.
Old August 6, 2023, 08:29 AM   #7
Nathan

I have a bunch of Saturn funnels. They work very well.
Old August 6, 2023, 09:57 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

See if you can find a 17 Rem or Fireball or Hornet case, cut the head off, and use it as a funnel or as a funnel adapter.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2023, 11:45 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
When I checked the fit over the mouth of a .22 Hornet casing, there is not a tight fit, and I suspect it will be spilling powder down into my loading block.
You might consider changing your technique. When I pour powder from the scale pan into a case, the case and the funnel are in my left hand, and held together with the case all the way into the funnel as far as it goes.

After powder is poured, THEN I set the case in the loading block. IF any powder spills (a really really rare thing, and entirely my fault If it happens), none goes into the loading block...
Old August 6, 2023, 01:18 PM   #10
slpenney

Thanks for all the very good suggestions, and for the general reloading tips and techniques you posted. My solutions are within.

SP