PDA

View Full Version : Bfr 45-70

mextraveller
September 14, 2005, 11:37 AM
I have done a search on this topic both here and on the internet, so excuse me if this repeats things already covered. I'm considering a new BFR 45-70 w/ the 10-inch barrel for a hunting revolver. I've read opinions/reviews on this gun ranging from describing the recoil as mild & managable to brutal with massive muzzle blast (depending on what's loaded in the chamber, of course). I will be hunting various types of deer and hogs, probably nothing bigger than an elk or a medium-sized bear (ever). I really like the idea of having ample power in reserve without resorting to a high-pressure load (ala .454 Casull, Linebaughs, etc.). I know I could get the job done well with either a .44 magnum or a .45 colt heavy load, but the 45-70 is really what I am interested in.

1) With a 300-350 grain bullet & an appropiate medium-level load, is this a "shootable gun"? Suitable for practice sessions without undue stress on the body? I'm not interested in high-end ammo (Buffalo Bore, Garrett, etc. because of the recoil). I'm talking handloads designed for a 10-inch barrel & medium weight game.

2) Is there a way to load the 45-70 cartridge to make it more efficient when shot through a revolver-length barrel, as well as keeping recoil managable? I've read of people using less powder and packing the unused space in the cartridge with some type of filler material/wadding. I fully expect some noticeable & powerful recoil, I just don't want it on the extreme upper level of what's possible. Can the 45-70 be shot through a short barrel in a real world woods hunting scenario like a lighter caliber pistol? If and when I get a BFR, I'll post some pics here.....

Thanks in advance.

Jbar4Ranch
September 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
I have that exact revolver and load it with a 405 grain cast plain base FN, 26.0 grains of 2400 (no filler), and a CCI-200 primer which gives me about 1350 fps. It's potent, matching the original black powder carbine load, but very controllable and not all that unpleasant to shoot.

mextraveller
September 15, 2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks......that sounds like a winner

Boarhunter
September 15, 2005, 09:55 AM
mextraveller,

In my opinion, you are contemplating the purchase of one of the finest hunting revolvers made today. I have owned a .45/70 BFR (7 1/2 inch barrel) for a couple of years now, and have nothing but praise for it. Handles well; extremely accurate; and not near the burden to shoot as you would imagine. It rolls in the hand upon firing, rather than coming straight back into the hand as many double-actions do. And the recoil is more of a "push," almost like a black powder load. Not bad at all. Personally, I prefer the shorter (not short, shorter) barrel to the 10" that you are considering. I just do not see that the extra inches add much to the package. But that is just me.

I reload a 405 grain Remington bullet ahead of H4895 for a measured velocity of approximately 1350 fps, and have used the combination with great success on large (300 pound plus) Russian Boar in the hills of Tennessee.

Trust me. You will like the gun. Big-time.

And once you have that gun in the collection, I recommend you get a companion piece...the Marlin Guide Gun in .45/70. The same load for both guns (though the bullet clocks about 200 fps faster through the carbine). Now this gun does kick....

With those two guns in your inventory, there is nothing on this continent that you could not comfortably take.

Anyway, get the BFR and let us know what you think.

Boarhunter

mextraveller
September 16, 2005, 12:01 PM
I appreciate the feedback.....sound advice. Looks like A BFR 45-70 in the near future w/ the proper re-loading equipment. I have thought the same thing about adding a Marlin levergun also. It would be an awesome combination in 45-70. Thanks again for your opinion.

Eric Larsen
September 16, 2005, 12:51 PM
Ive had the pleasure of shooting one on 3 occasions. What gets me is the versatility of the loads you can get or load for the gun. 300 gr. bullets with a med load behind it feels like a gentle push after shooting 425gr. Evil Reloads!
Those will wake you up.....
The gun is accurate to a fault...the owner cuts playing cards in 1/2 at 15-20 yds with it, off hand.
Very nice gun.....now only if the came in a snubby.....I could make a pocket holster :D

Shoot well.