PDA

View Full Version : Savage heavy barrel change

turnandshoot4
November 29, 2006, 11:22 AM
I have a savage model 11g short action in .308. I was just wondering if I could get a heavy barrel for this and was wondering how hard it would be to change it out. I am not changing caliber. I checked midwayusa.com and I couldn't find any heavy barrels for it. Thanks in advance!

Smokey Joe
November 29, 2006, 12:55 PM
Turnandshoot4--Savages are easier than other rifles on which to change bbls, but you'll still need some specialized equipment, i.e. an action vise, a Savage barrel nut wrench, a bbl wrench, and a headspace gauge.

How much accuracy do you want in yr new bbl, and how much are you willing to pay for?

Krieger Barrels will make up a bbl to yr specs, cryo-treat it, blue it, flute it, crown it, and anything else you want done, and true your action and install the bbl if you want that. They are top-of-the-line, and you pay accordingly, but their reputation is XLNT. If you call them they will discuss your needs with you and help you decide what you want from them.

Brownell's can sell you any gunsmithing tools you want www.brownells.com Krieger Barrels is at www.Kriegerbarrels.com

Jim Watson
November 29, 2006, 03:47 PM
Lots of information on the Savage board
http://www.savageshooters.net/SavageForum/index.php

Pac-Nor will make up about anything you want, ready to shoot; there are a few others like Sharp Shooter Supply, Lothar Walther, Shaw, and Shilen.

There are classifieds on the Savage board where you can shop for takeoff factory barrels.

I have a Pac-Nor on order. When it comes in and I have a chance to install and check it out, I had just as well sell the factory heavy fluted stainless .308. It is going to take a while, though.

turnandshoot4
November 29, 2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the help. I am really just trying to find out if I need to just sell this gun and buy a whole new one with the heavy barrel or if there is hope. So the new question is should I just sell this and buy a heavy barrel savage? I could probibly sell it for $300 then turn around and buy a heavy barrel savage for $500-600. The difference is about that of a heavy barrel.

GeoW
November 29, 2006, 05:10 PM
Depends on if it's a one time swap or if you want to do regular swaps. With the Savage rifles, you can change barrel/caliber in less than ten minutes.
It would be ideal to have three receivers. One for long action 30-06 family calibers, one for the 308 family and lastly one for the .223 family. Actually the 223 receiver can be accomplished with a bolt or even a bolt head swap and using the 308 length action as it is the same action for those two, just a different bolt head. Pick up take off barrels for between $100 and $150 on the classifieds of the Sharp Shooters Supply forums.

That forum is www.savageshooters.net

Regards,
GeoW