PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 vs. Highpower vs. Beretta....

Roger Hippert
August 16, 1999, 09:47 PM
I'm going to buy my first pistol, and have decided on a 9mm semiauto. I've seen rave reviews of the CZ 75, but others insist the Highpower is still the classic 9. Then, the US decides to replace the Colt with the Beretta, which must mean something (although these guys also decided to saddle us with the M-16).
So, if I'm looking for the most reliable, accurate 9mm, which should I go for? I can pick up a used Baby Eagle at a good price, but I know nothing about this, except that it's based on the 75. Any help would be appreciated!

Clint Tickler
August 16, 1999, 10:05 PM
All 3 of the guns you mentioned are high quality firearms. You should be aware that the Browning HP is a single action. If you plan on making this a carry piece and don't think you'd feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked avoid it. I love the HP'S for their ergonomics and reliability (I own two),but would pick either of the other two mentioned for carry. My opinion.

JJR
August 16, 1999, 10:12 PM
What are you planning on using this gun for... Concealed carry? Home defense? Targets? Plinking? All of the above?

You've picked out three very fine pistols (granted you are talking actual CZ, Browning & Beretta. All three have been cloned and the usual cloning genetic degradation can be expected). But none of them fit the "all of the above" category perfectly. The Beretta is a workhorse. Utterly reliable but rather large for carry. Brownings are wonderfully accurate but the single action could be a safety/liability concern for defense purposes (for a first-time pistol owner). CZ's are excellent but they sometimes require some gunsmithing to make them work to their full potential. If you have a range in your area where you can rent them, it's worth the money to give all three a test drive. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by JJR (edited August 16, 1999).]

Stephen A. Camp
August 16, 1999, 11:49 PM
Greetings, sir. I currently own both CZ75s and Browning HPs and have owned Beretta 92s in the past although the closest thing I have to it now is the Taurus PT92. My favorite handgun is the current Browning MkIII in 9mm.
As others have noted, it is a single-action design and should be carried "cocked and locked." I've done this for years with no problems, but its short trigger press is not as forgiving of mistakes as the CZ or Beretta with their longer double-action pulls. Note that the CZ allows for either double-action pull on the first shot or cocked and locked as its frame-mounted safety works identically
to the 1911 or Hi Power. The HP is simple to detail strip with the CZ being the next easiest to completely break down for repair or cleaning. There are over 70 parts in the Beretta and I've never had the guts to detail one. However, they appear to work. The Beretta is the largest of the three and would be more difficult to carry concealed. Current HPs and CZs are very accurate and the Beretta 92s do quite well also. I'm told that the newer Beretta "Elite" is very accurate. The HP is the easiest to conceal and the current MkIIIs are very reliable with
many types of ammunition as are the other two. It is also the only one with the dreaded magazine safety. While some may wisely counsel against its removal, all of mine are gone. This, in itself, will improve the trigger-pull significantly. The HP and CZ are all steel while the Beretta has an aluminum alloy frame. If you are not used to single-action firearms, you could get "both" in the CZ-75 for reasons noted above. Still,if you are willing to use caution and respect the weapon as you should, I cannot help but recommend the Browning HP. Best.

Destructo6
August 17, 1999, 12:07 AM
Go with the CZ-75. You'll neither experience hammer bite nor the gritty trigger of stock High Powers. Compared to the Beretta, the CZ has a shorter, single-action, trigger pull.

By all means, shoot all three side by side and decide for yourself. You might also consider an EAA Witness as they're a CZ-75 knock-off.

4V50 Gary
August 17, 1999, 01:06 AM
Got all three myself.

There's nothing the Beretta can do that the smaller (and to me) more comfortable CZ75 won't do. To me, the Beretta is awfully big for a 9mm.

Love the Browning Hi-Power. Feels slightly better in my hands than the CZ75. But, I'm not allowed to carry it. One major advantage of the Browning, it's probably easier to get hi-cap magazines for it than the CZ75.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Dan
August 17, 1999, 05:05 AM
Go with the CZ-75. You get the positives of both the Beretta and H.P. but with a more comfortable grip. But of course test fire all three before you buy.

BTW - The M-16 is a fine weapon.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm (http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm)
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm (http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm)

Gino
August 18, 1999, 01:53 PM
I love my 92FS and CZ 75B. Both are VERY nice guns. I was going to buy a Highpower, but after shooting one, I noticed that it "bit" me in the web of my shooting hand each time I shot it. You may want to try one to see for yourself. I have always looked at the CZ 75 as an updated version of the Highpower. All the advantages plus DA, but no hammer bite! Any way you go, you'll be getting a great gun.

Brad
August 18, 1999, 02:28 PM
If size is an issue, you should consider the Beretta Cougar in 9mm. It has the reliability and quality of the 92/96 series, but comes in a smaller, more manageable package. It's a well made gun and alot of fun to shoot.