PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS Stainless 22 250 HELP!!!

FailureByDesign
April 1, 2007, 06:39 PM
Heres the deal, lately i have really been wanting to buy a rifle. I'm looking at the 22 250 just because i love the versatility of target shooting to practically killing anything i want with it.

Anyways, I love remington guns, so i have been looking all the 700 series 22 250, lots to choose from, I love the look of the SPS guns, i want the LV SF, but its to expensive for my college budget, I have heard that the SPS stainless wouldn't be a good choice, because its not really made for light varment shooting, mainly because it doesn't come with a heavy barrel, is this true??

Just looking for some advice, where is the best place to buy a Remington 700 22 250, what other guns should i look at?

indybrad
April 1, 2007, 07:54 PM
Take a look at Savage. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I don't own one myself, but my father in-law has one in 223 with a heavy barrel. They are cheaper also.

FailureByDesign
April 1, 2007, 08:08 PM
ya, i here savage are extremely good guns, very accuarate out of the box, could you please tell me which model i should consider? thankyou

RevoRick
April 1, 2007, 09:33 PM
Dicks sporting goods had a sale that ended on the 26th. Maybe they will still honor the price. They had the Rem 700 SPS Varmint in either .223 or .22-250. Guns have a dark green stock, flat black everwhere else. Heavy barrel and a free 4x12x40 Rem branded scope. There is also a Rem rebate for $30. Price was $449 before rebate. I picked up the .223. Have already replaced the scope with a Nikon Buckmasters 6x18x40 w/BDC reticle.

Attached pics are the ones I am using on ebay to sell the scope so they don't show the whole rifle but you can get an idea of the stock color.

Good luck in your search.

mrawesome22
April 1, 2007, 09:34 PM
Remington 700 VLS .22-250Rem. Stainless is for target shooters. The VLS has a nice matte finish and is a tack driver. Great gun for a great price. Mine has never missed an animal within 400yds with a bipod. I shot at a little grey squirrel at 265yds thinking I would miss it and blew it's head almost all the way off LOL. It's a great gun.

FirstFreedom
April 1, 2007, 10:12 PM
Lookit, a heavy barrel is not a necessity for accurate shooting, and you STILL have to let a heavy barrel cool for top accuracy. A heavy barrel heats up more slowly and cools more quickly. But 20 rounds in 10 minutes and EITHER is going to be very hot, and need to let cool. So if you're going to take more slow methodical shots, letting the barrel cool between shots, then a light barrel is fine. You still need to be slow & methodical with a heavy bbl to get great accuracy (and not burn up your leade with a .22-250), but you may get a few more shots off every half hour, versus a standard weight bbl. So not a whole lot of difference, really.

So I'd go ahead and get the SPS if that's what you want, and not worry about the heavy barrel.

FailureByDesign
April 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the great advice everyone,,

Freedom, seems like you really know your stuff, On a personal experience level, how do you feel about Remington 700 SPS v Savage 12 series, I'm going to buy one of those guns soon in a 22 250, i love the caliber, and really dont need anything bigger,

Revo Rick, i'll take a look at Dicks, unfortunetly i wont be able to get to a dicks, for some time now

So everyone,

Remington 700 SPS v Savage 12, i know people are gonna be bias, i have done some searching on the forum to learn a little, but more advice would be welcome, thankyou

FirstFreedom
April 2, 2007, 08:34 AM
I dunno, both are good. Some say that the Savage stock design leads to higher felt recoil. Regardless, you'll want to shoulder them both and see which one feels better to YOU as for a natural point. The Savage is a bit easier to switch out barrels later down the road if you burn out a barrel. The Rem action may be a bit smoother and therefore faster. Tough call. But .22-250 is an excellent caliber. Let us know the results. :)

Ry-guy
April 2, 2007, 09:59 AM
I own the above rifle and went through the exact same thing that you did. I am a big remington fan and wanted a Varmint gun that is the true definition of a Tack Driver at a fair price. I ended up finding out through my research that the Savage was the best bang for my buck. I purchased it in the .223 and would never go back. This rifle shoots as accurate as anything you can imagine with numerous types of ammunition.

Check the link http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

629 shooter
April 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'm looking at the 22 250 just because i love the versatility of target shooting to practically killing anything i want with it.

Anyways, I love remington guns, so i have been looking all the 700 series 22 250, lots to choose from, I love the look of the SPS guns, i want the LV SF, but its to expensive for my college budget, I have heard that the SPS stainless wouldn't be a good choice, because its not really made for light varment shooting, mainly because it doesn't come with a heavy barrel, is this true??

If you want an accurate varminter get the heavy barrel Savage or Remington. If best bang for the buck is of main importance , the SPS 700 Varmint or the Savage 12FV can both be had for $500 or maybe less , especially with the Savage , was $479 at my last gunshop visit. The actions/barrels of both rifles are basically the same as some of the more expensive models , just the plastic stock makes these models a lot less expensive. The stock can always be upgraded later.

There is a lot of difference in the number of accurate shots that can be fired in a given amount of time when comparing something like a 700 SPS Varmint vs the 700 SPS/BDL sporter profile. I have seen shooters at the range with both types of rifles in the same cartridge.

One shooter at the range had a 700 BDL 22-250 sporter and the groups were not even MOA and the barrel was fairly hot in just a few shots. Another time a shooter was there with his Savage 12BVSS varmint profile barrel and was able to shoot a 10 shot group that stayed less than MOA and it was a 22-250 as well. One of the more dedicated shooters there has a Winchester 22-250 with Hart stainless barrel installed , it is more of a sporter profile and he always shoots 3 shot groups with it. Thing is , while his Winchester is a good shooting rifle I do better with my 700 LTR , although it is a .223.

If you want something to be carried around a lot and shot off hand with no support then the sporter profile might be the better choice. For precision shooting I like the Remington heavy barrel guns , have owned the 700VLS , 700VS and 700P models. Now a 700LTR is my top shooter. Also have a Savage 12BVSS.

i'll take a look at Dicks, unfortunetly i wont be able to get to a dicks, for some time now

I missed out on that sale too , by one day! I asked if they would wtill honor it since it was only a day but no luck! I was going to get the SPS with the later intention of customizing it.

FailureByDesign
April 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
^ thanx for the advice,,,

I think i have settled on the new Remington 700 SPS Varmint, i love the look of the stock, and it comes with a contoured heavily barrel = good enough for me,,, now i just need to find one locally, all i have here is a walmart and a farmking.....

whats a good scope, no more than 250, and i dont need to shoot passed 250-300 yards

RevoRick
April 2, 2007, 10:08 PM
Try out midway.com for scopes. Many on sale. Maybe a Nikon Buckmasters would fit the bill. They also have them grouped by power so you can chose what you are looking for and then see all the brands for that particular power.

Good Luck and a nice choice on the gun.

FailureByDesign
April 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
Just ordered it, cant wait to pick it up this weekend.....

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .22-250

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp

now i need a scope!!

oh and where can i buy a bipod?

any other accesories i should purchase?

629 shooter
April 3, 2007, 05:08 PM
any other accesories i should purchase?

Scope rings and base for that scope.