PDA

View Full Version : AR-24 Range Report

Dobe
May 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
This past Sunday, I took my son to a local indoor range. He is in on leave from a tour in Iraq with the U.S. Army.
He is on his second tour, and was glad to be home. I might add, we were glad to have him home.
We started out just before our range time at Wal Mart acquiring four boxes of Winchester Value Pak in 9mm.
I realize a true range test would incorporate a wide variety of 9mm hollow points, but I’m doing this test on a budget.

We had shot the day before, so our thumbs were still sore from loading P7M8 magazines. So, even though I was
looking forward to the shoot and quality time with my son, I wasn’t looking forward to loading mags. We picked up a
couple of B-27’s, plus the Shoot’n See targets I had in my range bag.

At first glance you would think that the AR-24 was a CZ 75-B. It’s the frame that gives it that appearance. Having been
a long time fan of the CZ 75, I was drawn to the lines of the new AR-24. I really don’t wish to give a comparison of this new AR
to the CZ for two reasons. One, this propagates some to feel they must defend their handgun against the new comer.
Second, there are enough magazine articles giving some differences between the two. Therefore, on separate post, I have
or will give a few comparisons when the topic arises. With that in mind, I’ll give a description of the things that are of high
importance to me.

Overall:
1. The gun is pleasing to the eye. The lines are great, and flow well. The curves of the frame include the classic rounded trigger
guard and a deeply swept-in back strap. This adds to the aesthetically pleasing overall handgun. There is some confusion that the
AR-24 has a hump on the slide similar to the Bren 10. It does not. The frame and slide are forged steel. This is something I appreciate.

2. The AR-24 seems to be molded from my hand; it fits that well. There are a few classic auto designs, which come to mind when
you think ergonomics and autoloaders. There is the 1911-A1, BHP, and the CZ 75. To me, this is the second best fitting autoloader
I have handled. The first is the 1911-A1. I believe one of the things that makes the AR-24’s ergonomics so great is the oversized
palm swells and the back strap. The former marries the hand to the grip while the latter gives the perfect spot-weld and comfort
zone for the primary hand.

3. The sights are adequate, while not special. The sights are 3-dot type, and pick up reasonable well in an indoor range. I have
the fixed sight model, and the sights while not Novaks were easily seen in low light indoor range conditions.

4. The two magazines, which came with the AR-24 hold 15 rounds each, and are not compatible with CZ magazines. I have
no idea why this was done this way. If the manufacturer could come up with a believable valid explanation for this, I would like to hear it.

Shooting:
The trigger was long but very smooth. I really had no problem with the longer trigger pull. It seems to be about 5-6 pounds, but I have
no way to measure this at this time. If I am shooting a handgun with a 5-6 pound trigger, I would personally prefer a longer steady pull
than one with no movement until it breaks, as long as the pull is smooth. To me, the former allows for more consistent shots not lost or
thrown due to a possible torque in the pressure build up. The latter has always caused me more problems with trigger control.

Accuracy was more than acceptable for a service handgun. It is as good as or better than any other auto I have shot in this price range
plus $200. It left a pleasant smile on my face. My son is a 1911 fan also, and he instantly loved this handgun. He would shoot a full
magazine, and then I would do the same. The AR-24 never had time to cool. We went from paper to plates, and back. Function was flawless.
I have been asked by a friend’s fiancé to recommend a center fire automatic as her wedding present to him, within the $500 range.
The AR-24 will be my recommendation.

Dobe
May 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/AR24WIde.jpg http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/AR24Sweep.jpg

Its a nice looking auto. I like the steel trigger, and the "C" shaped trigger is not bad either.

Notice the "in-sweep" of the back strap. This is more pronounced than the CZ 75B. It feels great.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/AR24toolmarks.jpg http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/AR24FeedRamp.jpg

No tool marks here.

This is the most polished feed ramp I have seen on a handgun of this price range.

Dobe
May 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/Target1.jpg http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/tARGET2.jpg

50' unsupported - 15 shots

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x304/dobe1234/tARGET3.jpg
20' unsupported - 15 shots - The AR-24 is a real pleasure to shoot.

Dfariswheel
May 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
"4. The two magazines, which came with the AR-24 hold 15 rounds each, and are not compatible with CZ magazines. I have no idea why this was done this way. If the manufacturer could come up with a believable valid explanation for this, I would like to hear it."

The Turks apparently have or have had a relationship with Tanfoglio of Italy.
The new AR-24 can use Tanfoglio/EAA magazines.
Since the EAA also can't use CZ magazines, this is no great handicap.
Simply buy the EAA mags, which I think are cheaper than CZ anyway.
I have no doubt that if the AR-24 used CZ magazines, people would be complaining that they couldn't use the cheaper EAA mags.

I'm waiting with some impatients for a look at the .45 version Armalite will be importing.
What I'm hoping for is a pistol more the size of the EAA Witness, but of a quality more like the CZ 97B, or better.
The EAA just isn't quite the quality I'd like, and the CZ 97B is unnecessarily big.

If they do a .45 that looks like the 9mm and has the forged and milled components, I'll buy one.

Dobe
May 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
If they do a .45 that looks like the 9mm and has the forged and milled components, I'll buy one.

I will too.

mikikanazawa
May 29, 2007, 01:32 AM
Nice review, nice pics, and real nice shot grouping on that target!

Thanks for the post... I've been curious about this gun, though I don't think it's on the California DOJ's roster yet, so I'll have to admire yours from afar. I'll admit I was initially drawn to it basically on looks. Nice looking piece in the ads in Shotgun News.

YosemiteSam357
May 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
Excellent review. I have one also, and can't add a lot to this. It feels like a hand fitted gun. I've got about 500 rounds through mine now without a single hiccup. I've got a Witness holster on order for it, and have gotten a couple of extra mags from Armalite (didn't think of the Witness mags). I paid $455 at a gun show in Oregon. You really can't beat this gun for the price.

Oh, and "ditto" on the .45 version... :D

-- Sam

Dobe
May 30, 2007, 12:18 PM
What did you pay for the extra mags?

YosemiteSam357
May 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
$30/ea. Pricey, but not the worst I've seen. If I need more I'll look at the Witness mags. But I don't usually need more than 4 mags...

-- Sam

Dobe
May 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
Did I understand you correctly, holsters for the Witness will fit the AR-24?

YosemiteSam357
May 30, 2007, 12:27 PM
That's what I understand from talking with others. I'll know for sure in a few weeks when my holster arrives. Based on specs, it should. The only thing I'm concerned about is the rounded top of the slide on the AR vs. the trapezoidal slide top on the EAA.

The AR does not fit a Browning Hi Power holster.

-- Sam

Sturmgewehre
May 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
Just a FYI. I'm probably going to pick up an AR24 just for the heck of it, but I took a minute to write to Armalite asking they consider offering one in 10mm. Here's the response I got today:

Subject: RE: AR-24
Date: May 30, 2007 06:32:29 AM PDT
To:Tim

Tim,

Currently there are no plans for a 10mm. We're in the process of
designing a .45 cal for release at Shot Show this January and a .40 cal
based on the .45 cal platform after that.

Tim Rooker
Tech Support / Customer Service
Armalite Inc
745 S. Hanford Street
Geneseo, IL 61254
800 - 336 - 0184 EXT. 140

Dobe
May 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ref holster for Sam:
If you would, please let me know.

Sturmgewehre:
Too bad about the 10mm. Although, I will get the .45 ACP.

So far, my only regret about the AR-24, is that I didn't get the adjustable sight model with the checkered front and back strap.

shooter1
May 30, 2007, 01:19 PM
Hmmmmm, wonder if the design and execution of the AR24 would stand the pressures of the 10mm. If the 10mm rd is ok on the OAL in the AR, a 10mm chamber reamer run into the .40 barrel would solve the problem. Here I go again!!
str1

Sturmgewehre
May 30, 2007, 02:17 PM
EAA did it with their Witness... :)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/eaa_10_3.jpg

Jim Watson
May 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
Trigger guard and backstrap contour are more like Witness than CZ; making it a copy of a copy. Which supports the Turkey-Italy connection mentioned.

The one you shot seemed to work ok, it remains for the brand to establish a place in the market. The action type will not sell to government procurement offices. Maybe they could sponsor some competitive shooters in the appropriate divisions of IPSC and IDPA.

YosemiteSam357
May 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
The action type will not sell to government procurement offices.
Why not? It's the same type of action (DA/SA) as the Beretta 92FS.

-- Sam

Dobe
May 30, 2007, 03:24 PM
making it a copy of a copy

Which doesn't bother me at all. I have shot and owned enough 1911/variants to know that each must be judged on its own merit. I would like to see this handgun do well. I have a thing for quality built firearms. This one at least appears to be.

Jim Watson
May 30, 2007, 07:38 PM
Why not? It's the same type of action (DA/SA) as the Beretta 92FS.

No, it is not. The lockwork is DA-SA but the AR does not have a mechanical decocker like the GI Beretta. There are some variants of CZ and TZ that do, but they are in the minority. You have to lower the hammer by easing it down WHILE PULLING THE TRIGGER to get to the DA start. No city attorney is going to allow an agency to buy or authorize that, or the cocked and locked carry that is the logical alternative.

YosemiteSam357
June 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ref holster for Sam:
If you would, please let me know.

I got my El Paso Saddlery Tortilla (http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-72-11-77-tortilla-holster.aspx) holster for the EAA Witness today, and it fits very well. However, this is a thumbreak holster, and they only make it for "hammer down" carry. The strap doesn't seem to get in the way of C&L carry, but it clearly wasn't designed with that in mind. I asked about this when ordering and the response was, "We make it whichever way the gun template is set up." I can live with it as is.

I found the selection of holsters for the EAA Witness to be limited, at best. Some generic holsters will fit, but I was looking for good leather.

CZ-75 holsters may fit, but if the holster is molded around the square trigger guard it's going to be chancy.

FWIW, I got my "Tortilla" in 4 weeks to the day, which blows away the 8-12 weeks I've seen quoted on other boards.

-- Sam

Dobe
June 18, 2007, 07:21 PM
I wish you good shooting, my friend. Please let us know.

I'm still posting ongoing range report on:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=5&f=52

Sturmgewehre
June 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
Yup, I was eyeballing these hard this weekend. I see one in my future. :D

Sturmgewehre
June 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
Oh, by the way, I emailed Armalite about making the AR-24 in 10mm and they said they have no plans to do that. :(

Dobe
June 18, 2007, 08:06 PM
Bum-me-out. If the .45 and .40 go over well, they will make it.

SrA USAF
February 23, 2008, 12:24 AM
Im a little late for this forum but I am currently deployed and would like some advice for this gun. I was wondering what the best model is for someone who loves to shoot? I am thinking the model with adjustable sights. Anything else I might want to look for?
I have been folowing the AR-24 for a while now and have only heared one bad thing about it. and that is that there are a lot of people that call it a "copy." Which I dont really mind seeing as how I own a Baby eagle which is also based off the CZ-75. I love shooting my baby eagle and have shot my friends CZ-75 and liked that too.
I currently own The 9mm Baby Eagle and a SW1911 .45ACP. I was kinda thinking on going with the .40 cal version of the AR-24 but havn't heared much of it. Any advice would be appreciated since I am planning on getting one when I get back from my Deployment.

Randallpink
February 23, 2008, 12:46 AM
I have been interested in the AR-24 as well. All reviews I have read agree that is a quality firearm. I dont have the specs. on it though and i was wondering thoughts about concealed carry of the AR-24. Also, does anyone have any details on the AR-26 (.45)? Release date, specs, etc.?

SrA USAF
February 23, 2008, 01:06 AM
I carry concealled when back home. If its anything like the Baby Eagle then it should be very easy to conceal just a little heavy thats all. Well thats what I have run into with the Baby Eagle.