PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Millenium Pro vs. The new Taurus PT 24/7 Compact

Wheel-Gunner
June 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
The Taurus 24/7 Pro compacts are just being released. I want to know what the differences are between this new pistol and the Millenium Pro. Aside from some very very minute dimension differences (24/7 Pro Compact is 0.25" longer and 0.375" taller) and the fact that the 24/7 Pro has a slightly larger capacity, I see these two models as basically the same gun. Of course there are minute differences in the grips and frame design, but are these two guns mechanically the same?

Can anyone elaborate on any more differences, if any, between these models? Also, should one wait and get the 24/7 Pro Compact in a month instead of going with the Mil Pro now?

What is the general feeling towards the new 24/7 Pro Compact?

kansas_plainsman
June 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Just bought one in stainless 9mm - wonderful gun. Compared to my PT140 Mill Pro, it's a little heavier, a very little bigger and the 24/7 has the 'ribber' grips, which I find exceptional.

Some comparison photos:

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_600.jpg

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_PT_140_600.jpg

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_PT140_2_600.jpg

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_pt140_3_600.jpg

And as it measures up to the SIG 239 and HK2000SK:

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_sig239_600.jpg

http://www.ellisdodge.com/24-7_hk2000sk_600.jpg

Officer's Match
June 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
How's it shoot, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?

ZeSpectre
June 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
My understanding is that the 24/7 compact has a slightly beefier set of frame rails and a few other minor dimensional alterations. I also heard someone say that the magazine retention mechanism was improved but I have nothing to back up that rumor.

egoprofit
June 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
damn, that looks awesome!
i own a Taurus P24/7 and now i want the compact!! how much $$?
almost afraid to ask..

kansas_plainsman
June 18, 2007, 02:07 PM
In a fit of gob-smacked honesty, I'll tell you how much I paid for it - $450.

That's probably $50 high, (this shop tends to be high) but they treat me great, call me when something I might be interested in comes in and will hold things for me - they also have a fairly liberal trade-in policy, so I feel I'm getting a decent shake from them.

From places like Buds or ImpactGuns I expect they will be selling these in the range of $390 - $410.

It shoots great. Now, I shoot a number of quite different guns, and it takes me a little time to adjust between them - but I was very pleased with the first range trip with it. So now you have to guess just how competent a marksman I am.... ;)

kansas_plainsman
June 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
My understanding is that the 24/7 compact has a slightly beefier set of frame rails and a few other minor dimensional alterations. I also heard someone say that the magazine retention mechanism was improved but I have nothing to back up that rumor.

I haven't done a side-by-side between the 24/7 and the PT series - can't really because I don't own the 9mm version in PT - but I seem to recall a more robust internal structure. Either way, it's built well.

Slyster
June 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
It seems the 2 models are pretty much identical in size. Accroding to their website:

TAURUS PT24/7-PRO "COMPACT" | MILLENNIUM PRO PT POLYMER PISTOL

Barrel Length: 3.33" ................................................ Barrel Length: 3.25"
Length: 6.375" ....................................................... Length: 6.125"
Width: 1.25" .......................................................... Width: 1.25"
Height: 5.5" ........................................................... Height: 5.125"
Frame: Large .......................................................... Frame: Medium

The capacity for the 24/7 compact is confusing to me. The 40 is a 10+1 but the 45 is 12+1, gun measurements between the different caliber models are exactly the same....HUH!?!:confused: I'm curious as to how that works.:eek:

What would be the major deciding factor for going with one or the other (Mil Pro or 24/7 compact)?

kansas_plainsman
June 18, 2007, 04:26 PM
The capacity for the 24/7 compact is confusing to me. The 40 is a 10+1 but the 45 is 12+1, gun measurements between the different caliber models are exactly the same....HUH!?! I'm curious as to how that works.

If it's like the full-sized model (and I think it is) the .45 does NOT have the ribber overmold - it's a textured polymer grip with the horizontal ribs molded in. That way, the outer dimensions are the same, but more room for the bigger cartridge.

Wheel-Gunner
June 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
kansas_plainsman:

Specifically, which do you like better and why?

kansas_plainsman
June 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
Specifically, which do you like better and why?

It's a near thing - both do what they're supposed to do, and do it well. I like the ribber grip and I like the style of the 24/7. Even if it's a bit heavier.

There is a strong emotional component to this: As I got re-interested in handguns some 5 or so years ago, my first modern semi-auto was a full-sized DAO 24/7 in 40S&W. I ended up trading it for something I thought I would like better, though now I don't recall what that was. I've missed it.

Some time later I bought another 24/7 in .45ACP - a nice gun too, but that was about the time I decided that I wanted a collection which could be carried concealed, (compacts and subcompacts) AND the .45 version doesn't have ribber grips...so it too got traded. At the time I told myself that if/when Taurus came out with a 24/7 compact, THAT one I would buy and keep.

Well, they came out with it. Bought the first one (a 9mm) I laid my hands on, in spite of the fact that I usually shoot 40S&W.

Now I appreciate the PT140 and have nothing against it - it's an emotional thing more than anything.

Sorry if there's not much objective reasoning here. You'll just have to compare them for yourself and decide. From the technical angle, they're both fine guns.

Finally, I had thought to sell the PT140 as the 24/7c fills the niche, but it's getting harder to think of doing so - if that tells you anything.

And FINALLY finally: I find the quality of current Taurus handguns equal to most others out there, and they're definitely less expensive. If we were talking about HKs or Smith & Wessons, I would likely HAVE to sell one off the finance the other. But with Taurus, I'm literally getting more gun for the money. I can't help but feel a little sorry for the Taurus bashers out there. Hope they're happy with the one or two they can afford.