PDA

View Full Version : S&W/Walther R99 (Revolver)....

JG
January 16, 2000, 07:47 PM
Is anyone familiar with this new Revolver. Seems interesting, based off the 686 but has a few Walther features (like an interchangeable section of the grip, not just the backstrap).

Would really like to know when its coming out, haven't heard much about it.

denfoote
January 17, 2000, 01:31 AM
I have not seen it either, but I know it is out there. I know that it is a .357 Mag., and is in the $400-$600 dollar range. you can see it at the Carl Walther web site. www.carl-walther.de (http://www.carl-walther.de)

Just click on the icon marked 'katalog'.
Then click in the icon marked 'Jagd'.
Then click on the icon marked 'R99 La Chasse'

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited January 17, 2000).]

glockdoc
January 17, 2000, 01:02 PM
This looks like a K-frame (model 66?) and not an L-frame like the 686. Smith has offered the 3" version of the model 66 off and on. Currently they are in "off" mode. Some prefer the 3" barrel to the shorter one because the 3" barrel allows a full length ejector rod. I have a friend with a 3" version of the model 66 and it feels and shoots great. It looks like I can finally get one in the form of an R99, but I wouldn't want to pay more than the cost of a regular model 66. I think the replacable backstrap is tacky and would probably replace the grips. I wonder if the Walther version differs from the Smith in other ways? I don't know German so the Walther website is not too helpful. Glockdoc/Frank

JG
January 17, 2000, 05:32 PM
I thought it looked like a model 66 also, but for some reason- one of the Walther pages (might have been the "Unauthorized Walther Page" said it was based off the 686)-interesting. I also, would not pay much more than whatever S&W model the R99 is based off of (Maybe $40 more).

Besides the grips, and different markings

marked "Walther La Chasse" somewhere on the frame.

I don't think much else is different