PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 183D

Lionheart
November 5, 2001, 04:38 PM
A friend is selling a Mossberg 183D, bolt action, in .410.
Anybody have any info?

BonesofGa.
November 5, 2001, 06:23 PM
Mossberg 83D or 183D. 3-shot, takedown, .410 bore only. 2-shell fixed top- loading magazine. 23-in. bbl. w/2 interchangeable choke tubes, mod. and full. Later production had 24-in. bbl. Plain 1-piece pistol grip stock. Weight about 5.5 lbs. Originally designated Model 83-D, changed in 1947 to Model 183-D. Made 1940-71. In excellent con. $100.00. Source, Gun Traders Guide, twenty-third edition. Seems to me it would be worth a little more, but I do like those old shotguns. Hope that helps.

Lionheart
November 6, 2001, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Bones.

I'm seeing the gun on Sunday.

I was told the stock has been shortened. I hope the bore/metal are OK.

I'm thinking it will make a good first gun for my little guy and I like knowing my friend's father bought it for him when my friend was a little guy in Texas.

BonesofGa.
November 7, 2001, 09:22 PM
My dad bought me a 20 gauge for my first gun. He got my little brother a 410. Tommy was a better shot than I was. Seems like I heard somewhere that a 410 holds a tighter pattern than a 20. So maybe a 20 would " inspire" a youngster with more birds in the bag. Something to consider. I know I have great memories of me and my little brother shootin off an old Mississippi railroad track in front of grannies house. So either way, I know ya'll have some good times ahead.

Lionheart
November 10, 2001, 09:13 PM
I picked up the .410 and it turns out to be a 183K-A, not a 183D. It has an adjustable choke. Never saw anything like it.

It came with a padded case -- and the original manual and some advertising material in a brown envelope. Neat!

The Monte Carlo stock, which my friend remembered being sawed off had been reattached somewhere along the line. The mend is visible of course, but whoever did it did a pretty fair job. A slip-on butt pad should cover it up nicely.

Should clean up real nice. It's another neat old gun to go with the Lefever Nitro Special I picked up a couple of days earlier.

Hmmm, now, I'm wondering if I should saw off the stock again for my son. :D

Think I'll let him try it first.