View Single Post
Old December 6, 2002, 10:35 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Tonyz,

I'm not a gunsmith. The Mark IIs I've worked on have been mine (I've owned 4) or belonged to very close friends.

There's nothing complicated about the procedure though. To start with, forget about the shims and the polishing.

Disassemble the gun until you are holding just the grip frame with its internal parts.

Using a small screwdriver, locate the trigger pin retaining spring (it's a long curved spring that comes up out of the magazine well--kind of--and runs under the trigger pin on the right side of the frame).

When you have it depressed, the trigger pin will practically fall out of the frame, or will be easy to push out.

With the trigger pin out of the gun the trigger assembly will swing up and out of the gun on the trigger bar. Do this carefully to keep all the parts together.

Back the screw out a little and swing the trigger back down into the frame. Put the trigger pin in BACKWARDS from the left side of the frame so that it doesn't lock into place (the locking groove will be on the wrong side of the gun) and test the gun by pushing the hammer all the way back and then forward. It will catch on the sear and you should be able to release it with the trigger (or not). Remember, there's no mainspring in the gun so you'll have to do its job with your thumb.

Repeat this procedure until the overtravel is removed. Don't mess with the screw any more than you have to so it doesn't loosen up. If it gets too loose you will have to loc-tite it in place. So far I've never had to.

This is a bit simplified because I've left out the fact that you have to deal with a piece of the slide lock/release assembly that also rides on the trigger pin. There's a plunger and a pin that will come out when you pull out the trigger pin and you'll have to get it back the way it was when you put things back together (no need to mess with it during the adjustment process. It's not hard, but I recommend looking at everything carefully before you remove the trigger pin.

Put some light grease on top of the trigger return plunger that sits on top of the trigger and get some on the sear if you can.

Don't remove any of the other pins in the gun. There's no need to mess with them.

If you're not happy with your new trigger then you can polish the sear.

Have fun,

John

Page generated in 0.02880 seconds with 7 queries