View Single Post
Old May 7, 2005, 11:50 AM   #379
novus collectus

Quote:
"Other high-rise buildings have survived intense multi-floor fires. In 1988 five floors of the 62-story First Interstate Bank Building in Los Angeles burned for 3 1/2 hours without causing the building to collapse. Three years later, the upper nine floors of Philadelphia's One Meridian Plaza burned until sprinklers eventually extinguished the flames."
It seems to me (from what yuou quoted) that he is being critical of the investigation but he is not saying that there was a premeditated conspiracy.

I was a construction worker for ten years and I have seen how the sprinkler system is installed in a number of differently designed builings and I believe that the trauma inflicted to the building by the impact and the explosively expanding fireball (in the spaces that contained the expansion and in the spaces that could provide a detonation with the proper fuel-air mixture) could have easily disabled the sprinkler system in that section of the building.

The Sprinkler systems in the higher built buildings usually (or always) have seperate systems for a certain number of floors and if that particular unit is disabled, then 3-15 floors will no longer have the benefit of sprinklers. Also, the hangers for the pipes are not the strongest way of securing the heavy pipes, but they are good enough when not hit by a jet liner. The trauma of the impact and flying debris could have easily knocked the pipes from their moorings and broken the line in many places, the plane also may have hit the unit controlling the supply of the sprinkler system for those floors and disabled it at the source.

I agree that there was a need for more investigation of how the buildings failed, but it was not a conspiracy that kept that from happenning. It was the many billions of dollars in cost and the extended time it would have taken to do so.

And btw, did Mowhers calculations include the concrete? It burns too when the fire is hot enough. He must have assumed that the fire never got that hot and that the fuel was completly consumed and didn't have a chance to pool in spots that would reignite minutes later when the continuing fire reached it.

Page generated in 0.02436 seconds with 8 queries