View Single Post
Old March 6, 2008, 12:59 PM   #139
kiov

I'm guessing most folks haven't made it this far. I've learned a great deal from this discussion.

I also feel that the FBI report was well done. Penetration, placement, and modern ammo (JHP) were sited as the crucial factors, if I recall correctly.

I'm sure we will hear more about the shock wave theory as we get more science coming in. That said, I think the results will probably bear out the general consensus among those who fight for us in the military and police forces....that the medium load .45 is a good choice for close range, limited shot, handgun fighting.

For the CCW, as stated by others, over-penetation is a big issue, as is size and weight of the gun since its needs to be actually carried.

My most likely use of my gun will be in a local bar playing cards, or walking home after the weekly game. I carry a 9mm on my ankle in the winter and a 380 inside my waistband during hot months. The 9mm is an all steel Kahr MK9 which is accurate as heck, and points and shoots quickly. I load the 9mm with Speer Gold dots. The 9's got plenty of power to penetrate, so the JHP is good both for the kill and to help prevent a thru and thru. I also drill aiming my shots downwards to limit the chances of killing somebody behind my target. The 380 is a Colt Mustang and is loaded with FMJ rounds to help penetration. I reluctantly give up the benifits of a hollow point round.

BTW, my home gun is a Para 14-45, also loaded with JHP's.

I have a S&W 500 which I couldn't resist buying, but don't like to shoot. Its just too much for my older wrists.

I very much appreciate the time and thought put into the posts in this thread, but I don't see changing my guns or calibers just yet.

kiov

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 7 queries