View Single Post
Old January 1, 2009, 06:52 PM   #198
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
JohnKSa, so what you are saying is that we should give up our rights if the general opinion is that we shouldn't exercise them?
Not at all. In fact, had you read my posts carefully, you would realize that my concern is that this particular incident will result in the loss of rights. What I'm saying is that if GP is against your exercise of a right then it would be prudent to exercise that right in a manner that doesn't result in the GP pushing the legislature to make the exercise of that right illegal.
Quote:
If we want the public to become more accepting of open carry..then they need to see it happening more. Which means that we need to exercise our right to open carry more.

They will never become more accepting of the right if it doesn't become the "norm".
They will also never become more accepting in PA if the PA legislature passes a law prohibiting open carry as a result of this (or another similar incident).

It's surprising to me that there are apparently members of the gun community that don't understand how a single highly publicized incident can result in the passage of laws that restrict gun rights. We've seen it happen over and over again...

If acclimatizing the GP to open carry is the goal, then open carrying in situations that are highly controversial is NOT a good strategy. That's a recipe for inflaming the GP, not acclimatizing them. Which could very well have exactly the opposite of the desired effect.

A good number of people in the gun community are looking at this situation and saying:
"We need to punish the heck out of the sheriff so that in the future LEOs are afraid to abuse citizens in this manner again."
The problem is that they're ignoring that the GP is thinking:
"We need to fix the law so that nuts like this women can't carry pistols around our precious children."
Quote:
Most of the debate seems to be about Hain, but does that mean everyone calling out Hain agrees with Sheriff Deleo?
I certainly do not agree with the Sheriff. He was clearly in the wrong.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 7 queries