View Single Post
Old January 26, 2009, 08:07 AM   #19
MrBorland

Regarding eye dominance, I'll throw in my $0.02, based on my experience as a cross-dominant shooter, only in the hope that if might help.

You can certainly learn to shoot right handed and use your left eye. And you can go far shooting cross-dominant, but learning to shoot left-handed, IMO, is really the better way to go for a number of reasons:

First, as far as defense or combat action shooting, when shooting right handed using your left eye, you'll have to turn your head to the right, and so your left peripheral vision is now impaired. Something you definitely don't want in a SD situation. Worse, you may very well have also developed the habit of shooting with your right eye closed (another post), in which case your total field of view is seriously restricted just when you need it the most.

Second, when shooting for accuracy, being in a relaxed position is especially important. If your gun and dominant eye aren't lined up naturally, you're not relaxed. You can become a pretty good shot as a cross-dominant shooter. I myself am decent shot, naturally cross-dominant, but learned to shoot righty. I shoot just as accurately when I switch hands and shoot cross-dominant. But I'd like to improve beyond where I am, maybe do a little bullseye shooting. My default position will always be shooting right handed, right eye, since I'm in a more relaxed position. Shooting cross-dominant would therefore likely act as a ceiling at some point.

Again, though, experiment to see what works for you, but also think about why you're shooting in the first place, and whether cross-dominant shooting might pose a problem in the long run. If shooting lefty feels weird, know that through dry fire practice, it'll feel much more natural. Whatever you decide will be your "weak" hand, I recommend training it as well, as it's a very good skill to have.

Finally, and on another note, you didn't say whether you're shooting single action or double, but if you haven't started, I recommend becoming proficient with the double action trigger, especially if this is to be a carry/SD weapon. Yet another good reason to dry fire!

Page generated in 0.05405 seconds with 7 queries