Thread: Grease
View Single Post
Old June 6, 2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Gatofeo

Actually, if you're referring to me, I never recommended [I]equal[I] parts tallow, beeswax and paraffin.

Gatofeo No. 1 lubricant is composed of:
1 part canning paraffin (for its purity)
1 part mutton tallow (for its mystical properties pertaining to black powder)
1/2 part beeswax (the real stuff, not the synthetic found in most toilet seals sold today)

All measures are by weight, not voume. A kitchen scale measuring 200/200/100 grams of ingredients will fill a widemouth Mason jar about 3/4. Put this jar, with the lid barely screwed down, into 3 or 4 inches of boiling water in a pot.
This double-boiler effect is the safest way to melt waxes.
When all ingredients are melted, stir together with a clean stick or disposable chopstick.
Allow to cool at room temperature. Don't put the melted lubricant in the fridge or the ingredients may separate.

This is the best black powder lubricant I've yet found for wads, patches, lead bullets and fiber wads for shotguns.
However, it's too stiff for use on the cylinder pins of cap and ball revolvers.
For that, I use CVA Grease Patch, sold in a black tube.
I'm unsure if this product is still made and I'm down to my last tube. It appears to be a mix of beeswax and natural oil, perhaps olive or vegetable oil.
I remain uncertain how to duplicate it, or anything like it.
For lack of the CVA Grease Patch, use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin. I also put a thin coat on the sides of the hammer and hammer-channel in the frame. This reduces friction as the hammer is cocked or falls.
After the interior parts are disassembled and dry, I put copious amounts of CVA Grease Patch inside the mechanism. This ensures plenty of lubrication to the bolt, hand, lower hammer portion, roller on the hammer that rides along the top of he srping (in the Colts) and makes cleaning easier later on.
A little bit of this natural grease should also be applied to the threads of the nipples, to make their removal easier after a day's firing.

Refer to my sticky above, "So you want a cap and ball revolver?" for even more information about shooting such pistols.

Page generated in 0.04092 seconds with 7 queries