View Single Post
Old December 23, 2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Jkwas

I have several S&W revolvers along with a Taurus. I also have a relative that has a Windicator and I have shot it as well.
What do I think of them?
My S&W's are of the older non MIM pre lock type with pinned barrels and firing pins on the hammers. The fit, finish, and lock-up are excellent. The triggers are good and differ from the others above in that they rotate/lockup the cylinder first, then the hammer continues it's travel and then releases forward. It is very much the best target trigger of the bunch.
The Taurus I have is a small frame, stainless steel. The fit and finish are also excellent. The gun is very accurate, and aside from replacing the hammer spring and having to clean out the center pin/extractor channel (after more than 1000 rounds) it has been very serviceable. A good shooter that points naturally with a good grip that fits my hand very well. It is one of my primary CCW's. The trigger is what you might call a single stage type. One motion simultaneously rotates the cylinder and the lockup takes place as the hammer breaks forward. It is a very fast trigger and can be shot faster than the S&W revolvers.
The Windicator has a poor finish, but a good fit. It was not an accurate shooter, but enough to do the job at close quarters. I would call it a good truck/car gun. As near as I can tell you can't take it apart (riveted together?) so I have no idea what's inside. It has a single stage type trigger, very heavy but serviceable. It does go bang every time. A little large for a snub but concealable.
At a price point, the windicator is a good second gun or truck gun.
As far as the S&W and Taurus revolvers, well I've shot a newer model 36 and my wife has an older pinned barrel M36, and there is no comparison. The older one puts the new one to shame in the fit/finish and trigger department.
To rate the three best to least, I would put the older M36 first, the Taurus second, and the newer model 36 as a close third. But all of them are good and it would just come down personal preference. I mean I'm really splitting hairs here and not putting any of them down at all.
I have no experience with the Rugers so I can't speak to them.

Page generated in 0.02537 seconds with 7 queries