View Single Post
Old December 29, 2009, 06:37 AM   #105
oldman1946

Quote:
We're talking CCW here, right? You said so in the 1st quote above.
So just how does packing extra ammo cause discomfort?
Just another straw man argument.
It would not matter. It is a perception people get from others. I have a friend that retired from a radio room at an area PD. He walks around with a fully loaded Wilson Custom, less holster, inside his waistband. He has THREE magazines in holders on his belt. The argument for magzine failure goes out the door with three extra mags. But think how people in a store or restaurant perceive him to be or wonder what his intentions are.

How many times have you listened or watched a news report about how much ammo a shooter had? Remember Ft Hood? What about Columbine? The media had a field day with the ammo brought by the shooter. The government tightened the noose on us a little more with each shooting and the public became more concerned about such.

Check the 911 calls each day from any mid- large size city in the south. There will be several calls about an armed person in a store or on the street. Most of these calls are dismissed since the armed person is gone by the time of officer arrival. Others are ok since the armed person is totally legal.

However, there are calls that are warranted and someone get arrested.

I have been on the scene of many, many shootings. A good amount of them are justified. Yet it has gotten where there is more ammo in magazines at the scene than there are police officers. People are hitting the streets armed for war and the media plays on the fears of the public in telling what is found.

Now compare that to a person carrying a revolver. They generally carry one gun, no extra ammo and feel comfortable and safe.

I like revolvers and sometimes carry one. I generally carry a semi but I do not carry extra magazines. I have 38 yrs in LE. My uncle retired with 40 yrs. Two of my cousins has about 20 yrs each and with us shooting in training, competitions and such, not one of us have sustained mag failure.

Given it may be possible, a spare mag would solve the problem. But 2-3 spare mags makes it appear to the public that you are about to declare war. If you can conceal them all the time, then carry away. Most cannot and get seen.

Now lets get to the shooting in the event of need. Years ago when I first got out of law school, the avg shots fired by a good guy was two. Now it is nine. The inventory of what a peson carried after a shooting has gone to where the shooter has a half box of shells on them. This amount decreases as the caliber weapon is increased.

I love guns and collect them as well as shoot them. I love the sport and I love the citizen being able to be armed as long as they are legal.

However if the trend continues, and many Chiefs of Police have already began rumblings, about the complaints they are getting on armed citizens. How many complaints will an anti gunner politician have to get before a law is passed to limit our freedoms?

We do this to ourselves. Just as if I see someone wearing bling, dressed in satin and driving a Corvette, I get a differerent perception of them than I would if they were in work clothes, driving a pickup. Of course, so do the women that see them.

Keep on showing the guns, braqging about how much ammo and guns they have. Our actions will effect us all. More stores are now posting signs restricting gun carry. This state is gun friendly. We can carry open, get a CCW with minimum training, keep in vehicles without a CCW and many other things. Yet we can no longer walk into a residence carrying concealed without telling the residents and getting permission to enter the home. It only took a handful of complaints to get that into the state law. Look for WalMart to put signs up in the next few months forbiding weapon carry.

But we are doing it to ourselves.

Last edited by oldman1946; December 29, 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.03495 seconds with 7 queries