View Single Post
Old February 19, 2010, 11:42 AM   #21
22-rimfire

I thought about buying the longer barreled 45/10 revolver when they first came out. Thought the idea very interesting and certainly fun. I had visions of shooting skeet or hunting rabbits with the 410 loads. As time when on, that idea was certainly poo-poo'd as it didn't match the reality of the performance of the 410 ga from a short rifled handgun barrel.

Then you have the 45LC which is a very effective defense caliber. My impression is the 45/10 revolver is very average with the round due to the long cylinder sized for the 410 shell.

I now view the revolver as just a more effective snake gun in 410 ga than say a 38spl or 22 with shot shells.

Hence I have never purchased one of these revolvers fully expecting that it would be fun, but not as effective as I would like in the 410 ga use. I have other revolvers for 38 or 357 and don't need a 45 for home defense.

I think there are better choices for self defense and I would probably lean toward a 38spl revolver such as a Smith Model 10 used. They are still pretty reasonable, effective, and very practical for home defense or carrying around the woods or farm. Want something new? Go with a Ruger GP100 and load it with 38spl's (+P's) for home defense or 357's for woods walks.

It is his money and he can do what he wants. My father could certainly afford to make a mistake or buy a gun that may not be as practical as perhaps other choices. My point is... he can have fun too. I certainly think any home invader would think twice about getting shot with a 410 with buck shot and he has five quick rounds to fire if necessary. More than likely he would probably not kill the invader. His call.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 19, 2010 at 05:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries