Thread: DONT LIKE SIG
View Single Post
Old January 16, 2001, 04:03 PM   #57
SigmundSauer

7th Fleet,

You are right! There is a lot of B.S. floating around this thread and you are adding to it.

I must apologize for posting the business about the 70,000 psi overpressured cartridge it was over 7 months since I was able to cite that number for a military briefing that I delivered. I can't remember the source I extracted that information from and don't really feel like searching for it just to entertain you. However, I assure you that number is no B.S.

40,000 rounds eh? Well I can't speak for current law enforcement deliveries but the official policy from SIG was that they were warranting their P229s in .40 cal to LE agencies to 40,000 rds and that is an aluminum framed pistol. You are right, aluminum framed pistols do not last as long as some other designs. I'm positive you can cite instances of Glocks going a million rounds. I doubt I'll ever shoot that many in my pistol. This blanket statement that all aluminum framed pistols only going 10k is B.S. up and down. Let's see, the Army's JSSAP trials in the '80s involves shooting 20,000 hi pressured NATO rounds in a number of pistols of each type to determine reliability, durability among other things. Both the Beretta and SIGs passed with flying colors. Several years later the P228 was tested by the Army again in 15,000 round trials - similar results. If you've got a SIG whose frame won't go past 10k - you had bad luck, and I'm sure some have. SIG did have some poorly engineered lots of frames that would crack prematurely back in the '80s. Again, as mentioned earlier a cracked frame does not disable the pistol.

Again, I ask you 7th Fleet. I'm sure your Glock will outlast my P226 but I doubt you or I will ever put enough rounds through them to continue this thread tens of thousands of rounds from now. Plus, I doubt your Glock will outlast my sigpro (or outshoot it). Your Glock is a great pistol, my SIGs is a great pistols. If you insist in having a pistol that is less accurate and less reliable than my SIG that may outlast my pistol 10s of thousands of rounds from now -- by all means, entertain yourself.

SS

P.S.

Shake,

I think you asked for a recommendation on a SIG. If you can afford hi-caps I wouldn't hesitate to get a new stainless steel slide P226 in 9mm. If you want a sub-compact for cheap the P239 in 9mm, .40. or .357 SIG is the way to go. If you want a service size pistol that has great ergonomics, will put a Glock to a durability test, and is match accurate, all while preserving your pocket book -- I have been TOTALLY pleased with my sigpro. I've seen them in Shotgun news for between 4 and 5 hundred bucks new. Can't beat that for SIG quality!

Page generated in 0.03286 seconds with 7 queries