View Single Post
Old August 29, 2012, 09:27 PM   #33
dacaur

Quote:
A couple of thoughts, what did the ammunition factory's use before this lee die??????

They have said in the ad's that the workmanship is put inside the die sets and they don't spend time/money on outside finishing, what I would like to know is how come so many reloaders have to send the dies back for tweeking or adjustment.

Never sent back a Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, or Redding dies.

jcwit we are in the same boat 50 years reloading and equipment just as old. Maybe we should run out and buy all new stuff so we can also send back dies or ream/sand/polish to make the stuff work better.

I thought I was buying quality tooling -- guess I was right!!!!
Well, first, ammunition factories dont use fired brass to make new ammo....
and second, many of the people in this thread stated they use the FCD in conjunction with their hornady dies, so the lee bashing really isnt necessary.

If you throw out every bulged case, then sure, the FCD is unnecessary. But WITH a FCD, you can use those cases in ANY gun, not just those with generous chambers.....

Without the FCD, if a piece of brass is fired in a chamber that isnt fully supported or in a gun with a super generous chamber, a normal sizing die of ANY brand often wont size it down far enough to chamber in a minimum size chamber. So yea. it will work in any ruger, but not some high performance guns or those with minimum spec chambers. I had a kel-tec PF9 with a minimum spec chamber, and used to have gun show reloads and my own reloads fail to chamber if not run through the FCD, but the exact same rounds would chamber and fire fine in my ruger p95. Bigger chamber, thats why they arent all that accurate. Reliable? yes, but thats due to the bigger chamber.

If you load range pick up brass without a FCD and have NEVER had one fail to chamber, its because your gun or guns have generous chambers, end of story.

And thats fine for you, but saying the reason we "need" the FCD is because we are doing something wrong is not only rude, but ignorant .

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 7 queries