View Single Post
Old February 16, 2023, 02:59 PM   #10
cdoc42

44AMP, once again, thanks for your sage advice.

I did not do any chronographing with the "Judge." Actually, I did the test to gain some confidence about the use of the gun as intended, and the results mirror the feelings and advice of you and TunnelRat, not so much because of the various shot loads, but the poor accuracy of the .45 Colt rounds, and particularly, the surprise that only 6 BBs out of 32, and none of 8 copper projectiles from 2 shots of the "Defender" rounds hit the entire 8.5 x 11" paper. I agree that the 3-inch barrel is unimpressionable.

You mentioned the TC .410/.45, and I also have one with the 10-inch barrel. Have you ever hunted birds with the .410? I found it to be wicked over a German Shorthair for both pheasants and chukars with 2-3/4" shells and #6 or #5 shot.

But even more surprising is how well the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag does over a dog on pheasants, loaded with Speer capsules containing 68 #6's (130gr) and 103 #7-1/2.s (134gr). Ages ago, when birds were $9 each at a preserve, the owner requested his presence with his dog (I presumed he wanted to be sure no injured birds escaped) and my friend and I came back with 9 out of 9 pheasants. The owner was glowing with surprise as he laid the birds on the ground and announced to those surrounding us, "They got them with handguns!!!"

Some day I'm going to secure a mannequin head just to see what the 7-1/2" Ruger will do with #6's......

Page generated in 0.02870 seconds with 7 queries