View Single Post
Old November 11, 2023, 06:53 PM   #6
jmr40

One ounce of shot from a 20 does exactly the same thing as 1 ounce of shot from a 12 so there is no real handicap as long as you choose loads carefully. But most standard 12 ga loads are 1 or 1 1/8 oz. You can duplicate that performance in a 20, but you have to use more expensive ammo.

With comparable guns a 20 is generally about 1 lb lighter than a 12 so at the end of the day a 20 will actually recoil more than a 12 if you're using comparable loads.

if you're shooting lighter loads in a 20 you can get less recoil, but it may be a slight handicap.

For clays shooting games I still prefer the 12. But for much hunting, where you carry a shotgun for miles, and rarely shoot more than 1/2 dozen shells in a day the 20 shines. The lighter weight is a plus. The expensive ammo does cost more, but since the number of shots is limited, it is worth it to me.

Most waterfowl hunters use heavy loads of steel shot. That would be more of a handicap with a 20 than I'm willing to take. But with modern shells and aftermarket choke tubes the 20 ga has become my goto turkey shotgun.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 7 queries