View Single Post
Old December 27, 2023, 02:51 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have been told that the 350 X frame cylinder will close and rotate when full of 357 Mags -
This MIGHT be true. Or it might be true only with the specific revolver they tried it in, and possibly not all the guns of the production run. Tolerances vary, and the spec is always a range of measurement.

Half Moon (3rnd) clips were developed for the 1917 .45acp revolvers. The idea was not that they were to be speedloaders, but speed unloaders, so that all 6 empties could be extracted and ejected at the same time, the same way rimmed rounds did.

The very first batch of Colt 1917s actually did need the clips in order to fire. The S&W did not. Colt had bored the cylinders straight through, without the headspace ledge that S&W had. That first batch was reworked with replacement cylinders that would headspace individual rounds without the clip. In the early 1920s Peters cartridge company created the .45 Auto Rim, specifically to be used in the 1917 revolvers without needing to use clips.

Later on, "full moon" (6rnd) clips were made, and I even have some "Baby moon) (2rnd) clips, which are pretty uncommon.

The reason for the clips was not to be a speed loader, but they do work as one.

IF the .350 Legend X frame has the clearance for the .357 Max rim, fine, I would check to see if it is made with enough clearance, or if it is a matter of serendipity that a specific gun has the tolerance. Most revolvers made to shoot rimless rounds need some modification in order for the revolver round rims to fit.

IF the X frame will take the rimmed cases, you're good to go on that part, BUT will the extractor engage them??? And, if it does will it be able to extract the fired brass from the .350 chamber which is .01" too large at the case head for .357 brass??

I don't know. Also, consider that if you do it, you're out of warranty coverage, by doing it. SO, any and everything that goes wrong is on you and repairs if needed (or possible) will come out of your pocket.

And an additional point, one I've mostly avoided is that the .350 is advertised as using a .355" diameter bullet (a special one designed for the cartridge) and the .357 Max is made to use the standard .357-.358" diameter bullets.

Not automatically a problem, but it could well be an issue.

.357 Maximum brass isn't exactly cheap or common, and I think that firing it in a chamber spec'd 0.010" larger than the case head will allow the brass in front of the solid head to expand to that diameter, and that repeated reloading of those cases will overwork the brass and lead to early failure, from cracking, or possibly complete case head separation.

Can't say when (how many cycles) it will happen, only that it seems likely, to me.

Another point to consider, one that just occurred to me, is the possibility of .357 case heads being set back hard against the revolver recoil shield due to not gripping the .350 chamber enough at the right time. This might result in jamming the gun.

Honestly, I don't know that any of these things will happen, but I do know they might happen.

Where the OP wants to walk is "off the map" and into the part that is labeled "there be dragons here!" He might be able to navigate around them, or he might step on one's tail and wake it up.

I'll stay where the dragons don't roam, thank you.

Page generated in 0.03822 seconds with 8 queries