Thread: BackStop
View Single Post
Old April 22, 2024, 08:14 AM   #2
taylorce1

First off, I'd never intentionally shoot at any of my permanent structures back stop or not. Then sand or dirt is going to compact and settle over time, and probably blow apart any simple structure to contain it in short order. Unless you seal against moisture plywood will delaminate fairly quickly when exposed to elements or in direct ground contact. It'll take a box of some sort to hold sand in a pile 5' tall and 2' wide, as it's going to want to be a cone in shape.

I'd probably use pallets and some 6"X6"X8' treated posts to build a backstop. Set the posts 3' in the ground, as far apart as the slats on the pallets you have to use. I'd screw the pallet slats to the front and back of the posts horizontally with no gaps, and fill the first 2-3" with rock for drainage and the rest of the way between the slats with more loosely spaced pallet wood or a rubber playground mulch. This will expand and contract less as it won't retain as much moisture. I'd also paint all the boards or use a deck sealer to treat the pallet slats. Then as the slats get damaged you only have to replace the damaged board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlab55
Now, we shooting small arms (22lt),
If this means you only want to shoot rimfire cartridges, buy a bullet trap. Most are under $100, just google it. Some of the bullet traps can be upgraded to handle .44 mag pistol as well. Mout it to a 2X board the appropriate width and use shelf brackets to set it at the height you want on your backstop. Now your backstop only has to stop an errant bullet or one deflected off the side of the trap. Any rimfire bullet that makes it through both sides of the backstop isn't going to have the velocity or energy to leave your property. You'd probably want to make your backstop a little deepr (18" or so) if you're going to use handguns.

Page generated in 0.03176 seconds with 7 queries