View Single Post
Old April 30, 2024, 03:02 PM   #31
TunnelRat

Will I do any damage to my pistol by cycling the slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
If I owned a gun shop, I wouldn't let anyone work the action on a new gun. I'd have some demos or used guns on hand for customers to play with. New guns should stay new. Rent and try. Buy one and try it. Or, play with one of the well-used guns to see if it "fits" you.

The truth is that 1) you don't need to rack the slide and mash the gun-buttons to see if a gun fits you; 2) you won't be able to tell if a particular gun is right for you until you put at least a box of ammo through it; and 3) most people can learn to shoot a wide variety of guns well as long as the grip's not too big or small for their hand.

I have bought a crap-ton of guns without ever racking the slide and/or mashing buttons. In fact, no one buying guns off of gun broker gets to mash the buttons or rack the slide.

Depending on your hand size, “mashing the buttons” can have plenty of meaning. Can you get to the magazine release and slide release? At the position of them do you have the strength in your hand to engage or disengage them reliably? Yes, smaller hands can make larger guns work, but if I am comparing models and I find them equal in other ways, then that difference may be a deciding factor.

I sure as heck am going to “mash buttons” on whatever model I intend to pay money for to confirm function before I leave the store with that firearm. And yeah if I want to I even rack the slide, generally more as a function of confirming the trigger will reset. To your point of, “You can’t do that on GunBroker”, you’re right I can’t. Which is part of the reason I am willing to pay more for a firearm I can handle in person.

Page generated in 0.04051 seconds with 7 queries