View Single Post
Old May 1, 2024, 08:53 PM   #41
bamaranger

birds

When I arrived in AL in 1988, and for many years before, up until just 3 years ago, the spring gobbler season limit has been 5 birds. In 2021, based on assessment by the state biologists, the seasonal limit was reduced to 4 birds. There were adjustments to opening and ending season dates as well. The theme of declining turkey numbers is echoed through out the southeast and northern states. Oddly, I don't hear much about turkey declines in the southwest and the western states. My impression is that the eastern gobbler (subspecies) is the ony one that is the focus.

Addiction, yeah, that's a good description. I encounter guys that say they hunted spring gobblers, killed some, and then quit.....I don't get it. Ben Rogers Lee, the Alabama gobbler guru of the 1980's, said "you need a good wife and a good job if you're gonna be a turkey hunter, if not, you'll loose both! You gonna turkey hunt 'till you die". Gene Nunnery a turkey sage from about the same era from MS, tells a humorous story about the old man who wanted to be known as "turkey man". When asked about his success, he stated "it only cost him a farm, a wife and two jobs," but by golly he was a recognized turkey hunter.

My standards? I've had far too many get away to be picky. I've met guys who will not bushwack a turkey, not hunt from a blind, not use decoys. Well and good for them.....they must a whole lot better than I am. I am also not against taking a jake, especially if it's been a lean year. BTW, over in MS, jakes are not a legal bird, only mature birds can be harvested.

Page generated in 0.02093 seconds with 8 queries