View Single Post
Old May 1, 2024, 05:36 PM   #40
stagpanther

Nice! How many are you allowed to take in a season? I'm just curious--up here in Maine it's only two--which I don't understand since we're overrun with them. I've seen something like 50 at a time munching away on a farmer's field.

I thought about you this morning when I went out shooting--second day in a row I've encountered turkeys where I set up my target and shoot. I pulled up in my truck and find in the field a hen foraging and this guy strutting his stuff trying to impress her. He completely ignored me and the only reason he left was the hen slowly returned to the woods and he followed. He was bigger than yesterday's jake/tom but his beard was only about 6" from what I could tell, so maybe small by your standards. He put on a great show and I was thankful for that. I tried to get a picture off him in full puff-n-strut but he deflated before I clicked the shutter. I can see how you can develop an addiction to hunting these birds.

I'm sure you probably know this already--but the wing feathers of turkeys are highly prized by primitive bow archery hunters that like to fletch their own arrows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.jpg (232.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 1, 2024 at 05:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.02755 seconds with 9 queries