View Single Post
Old May 2, 2024, 11:32 AM   #42
bamaranger

hunt #24

#24, 2May
Satisfied with my success from the day before, I sleep in an extra hour and then make the short drive over to state property where I got the shot (and got whupped) on the 18th. I don't need the ATV here, but take it anyway, just in case I hear a bird way over in the big ridges to the west. But my intended destination is not over in the big woods, it's close to the state highway on the east side of the WMA in these low scrubby woods.

As soon as I shut the Polaris off I can hear birds..at least two.....buy they are so distant, and the highway noise so heavy that I cannot really get a good fix on exactly where they might be. I elect to stay in in this locale, perhaps the bird I shot at a week ago has survived and will go vocal.

I find a comfortable tree and settle in, hunting with my ears, snoozing occasionally. These public land birds have been called to ....a lot. The "road warriors" prowl the access roads daily, calling from the roadway, hoping to raise a gobbler. Heck, I've seen guys leaning out of their truck windows, cranking on a box call. I make no turkey calls or use any kind of locator call all morning. By 9:00AM I've had enough, it's warming up and I'm hungry. I ease out, taking many breaks to listen, but here nothing. I'm home by 10:30 and bamawife fixes me a late breakfast

Page generated in 0.02329 seconds with 8 queries