View Single Post
Old April 1, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9
stevieboy

I don't know what the word "better" means in the context of subjective judgments about one manufacturer's product vs. another's. It's simply impossible to quantify quality because quality depends so much on the tastes of those who purchase the product. I will say this, however. I think that the fit and finish on modern Smiths (post-lock, with MIM parts, stainless steel manufacture, no pinned barrel or recessed cylinders) is extraordinary. I have never purchased a "modern" Smith revolver that gave me anything less than was advertised. Smith produces the largest variety of revolvers of any manufacturer, their attention to detail is outstanding, and their warranty service is unparalleled. I know that what I've just said is calculated to raise the hackles of the "it all went to Hell in 1982 when they discontinued pinned barrels" crowd not to mention those who think that installation of the lock was an act of perfidy. But, from my subjective judgment (and I've purchased several post-lock Smith revolvers) Smith is an outstanding buy.

Having said that, I also own several older Smith revolvers and I find them to be great, too. Which is to say that I believe that Smith has maintained its standing as a foremost manufacturer even with all of the design modifications and production changes that it has made over the years.

Page generated in 0.02936 seconds with 8 queries