View Single Post
Old February 16, 2002, 05:47 AM   #1
Glamdring

our house was invaded last night

by a tree rat. By the time we found the intruder, at 2:00am, he had made a serious mess.

We had the squirrel trapped in the laundry room, which is in the basement, so I had the brick wall backed by yards of dirt for secondary backstop. Since the squirrel could get back into the walls thru at least two different routes from the basement we didn't really want to wait and see if he would leave in his own good time if we opened the little basement window.

Also we weren't sure impact weapon would work, too many escape routes available to the little rat. Because I couldn't find any ammo for my bb gun so ended up using one CB short from my 22. Lined up so that some plywood, two 1/2" boards, that I had stored down there was primary backstop before I fired.

Was surprised that I actually got an exit with a raking lung shot. Exited out the far shoulder and knocked a small chip out of the first plywood board. Thought about a head shot but wasn't sure if the CB would penetrate the skull or skid off and couldn't line up a clear head shot with the backstop I wanted to use (ie the plywood leaning against the wall).

First time I have used the CB on a living target, usually use it for plinking. It worked but wasn't as quick as I would have liked. And it got me thinking about 22rf options for varmint control. Has anyone used CB for varmints? If so, how well did it work? I would have much preferred to use a Stinger but didn't want to use those inside the house.

Would CCI's 22 Short hp have worked better? Does their short hp actually expand at all? What about the 22 shot shells?

IMO a high powered 22 pellet gun would have been best choice, but it wasn't an option at the time.

Not that I plan to do this again, but any suggestions for large rodent control?

Page generated in 0.02435 seconds with 8 queries