Thread: DRT Ammunition
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2009, 01:34 PM   #27
calinb

> The point may be moot, but any plans on barrier tests?

Previously, it was reported that DRT acts like FMJ on lumber and water jugs. I might have a chance to try some barrier testing but, as you can see from the dates on my posts, I don't have much time to "play" these days.

> Any ammo that advertises that its wounding depth is 5" is way too shallow in the penetration department for my comfort.

You can judge from the photos but it looks like I got more like 8" and 10" from my two rounds. Depends on whether you measure the end of the visible "tendrils." It's still far less than the OTM round, but I think I remember a claim that a cat is supposed to stop a DRT bullet. (Maybe not a housecat but looks like a bobcat might stop it. )

But penetration isn't everything. Wound size matters too. Everyone can decide for themselves if my results mean anything.

From what I've read previously, the frangible ammo used for metal targets does not behave the same way DRT behaved in my tests, so sorry some forum readers are yawning here! Frangible ammo normally will NOT come apart in gelatin but DRT does come apart. The tip of the bullet can be "tuned" to come apart at whatever energy level the designer desires and it appears the energy level is lower for DRT for hunting and defensive applications. I know I'm simplifying here.

Somewhere on this site, http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/conten...eparation.html
they tested "normal" frangible ammo in gelatin and it did not come apart. I don't have time to find the exact page right now but I was inspired by their methods and results.

-Cal

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries