View Single Post
Old April 8, 2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Howdy all,

All 2nd Generation Colt BP revolvers were inspected, marketed, sold, and warranted by Colt and will letter. I have a 2nd Gen 1861 Navy with a Colt letter & Greg Martin Auctions recently auction half dozen or so with letters.
2nd Gens were made from 1971 through 1982. C (three different boxes)series production was from 1971 through 1977 and F (Black Box) series from 1977 through 1982.

Signature Series Colt Blackpowder revolvers are not Colts and will not letter. Sig Series were made from 1996 through 2002. Some people - Including the Blue Book publishers - may consider tham as being Colts - but Colt doesnt.

There is not a 2nd Gen or Sig series group that I know of with the excepton of the Colt Collectors Society (which I have yet to join). They're a group for all Colt products not just 2nd Gens.

For a good ref on the 2nd Gens, get a copy of "Percussion Colt Revolvers - The Second Generation - Collectors Handbook and Price Guide #3" by Dennis Russell. Also Colt Blackpowder Reproductions & Replicas - A Collectors and Shooters Guide" by Dennis Adler is a good reference for 2nd Gen and Sig Series guns.

Chubbo - Your 'Black Box' Colt is a rare one. It's a first year, 1971 manufacture and is one of about only 998 that were sold in the old SAA black flip top box. That box alone is worth a $150 premium to the value of the gun. If the gun is unfired 100% condition, it's worth $650 plus the black box premium making an $800 value. There were approximately 25000 51 Navies made in the C and F series - not including the 10,000 Grant & Lee sets or the custom sets.

After the black flip top box, C series 51 Navies came in a 2 toned brown flip top box til 1976, then they came in a styrofoam clam shell with a woodgrained sleeve till the F series guns camo out.

Hope this helps
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.02618 seconds with 8 queries