View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009, 01:29 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DNS, I watched all the snippets I posted and found only 30mph mentioned. Hogzilla size hogs are either released recently barnyard swine or a feral hog with plenty of feed. I have seen very feral 350+ pounders hanging on bottomed out 350 pound scales so a 500 as mentioned in the episode is plausible.
I also found nothing in the episode that is far from accurate. If you have some info to share that dismisses the show as National Enquirer fallacy, please do post links. I have only been regularly chasing hogs for 5 1/2 years so I have a lot to learn...
As for the aggression it is also true that the feral hogs are getting tuffer. They were rarely mixed with russian blood 30-40 years ago and that was in very small areas surrounding "game preserves". Many "sport" hog doggers have released many hogs after capture and they frown on being caught again by dogs.
A bay dog we recently traded off to a fella "got the horn" with a 200+ boar hog. She went in to assist the bulldog, as they normally do, and as soon as she had an ear the hog tossed her up and off and bounced her 3 times in the front of the chest with a tusk and she expired in less than 40 seconds. My father used to help hog doggers in the 60's as they protected the west central florida orange, tomato and strawberry farms. He said "We never needed none of that "cut gear" (cut collars and cut vests) or first aid back then... He seen a few cuts on dogs but not the routine dog wrecking slobs we see today.
Brent

Page generated in 0.03310 seconds with 8 queries