View Single Post
Old February 2, 2006, 06:01 PM   #19
rnovi

I am in the process of working up loads for my .357 for deer, defense, or whatever - that is, 180 grain Horny XTP's at 1300fps for my GP100.

Now, I am fully aware that if I was shooting hardcast lead I could easily wring another 100fps out of the load. But that defeats my desire to use a jacketed bullet.

First off, I would NEVER let anyone shoot these loads in ANY gun other than my own. These things are at/near max loads and are showing (very minimal flattened primers) some pressure signs (but drop from the cylinders without any need for the ejector at all, just tip it up and they drop out). I am officially into the "Thompson Center" loads in my Speer Manual doing this.

Second, that's just about all I am willing to do. These things are a handful. My indoor range won't let me shoot them around other shooters because of the sonic impact and concussion they make.

Third, I am filly up the entire .357 case with powder. No WAY can a .38 case hold that much powder.

So, WOULD a .38 spec 200 grain hollowpoint at 1200 fps make a good defence load?

Yep, sure would.

Is it feasible?

Nope. Not without a lot of danger to self.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"

Page generated in 0.03407 seconds with 8 queries