View Single Post
Old February 7, 2005, 10:06 PM   #18
barnetmill

In addition to the obvious have a hidden place

The large concrete vault is for securing the bulk of what I have. Anything of great importance would be put somewhere else. Options include as mentioned previously by others behind a wall, under attic insulation, burried in a dry place in water proof container, etc. Such hidding places are only intended to fool theives and are not very big.

Protection from moisture is important and ammunition must be protected from extreme heat or it (the propellant) will degrade.

Some 30-06 I loaded in 1961 was stored for 6 years in my brother's attic while I was overseas. I was firing this ammo in '85 when I got back in an old P17 that has generous headspace. The ammo fired and grouped well. I noticed some carbon about the base of some fired rounds. Paid no attention and kept firing. I got a head separation and gas in my face. I closely examined an unfired round and saw green spots. I decided to inspect the power and place a bullet in the muzzle to worked the bullet loose. The case broke in half. Apparently the power was degraded and released NO2/NO3 products that attacked the brass. Smokeless powder is produced by nitrating either cellulose and/or glycerin with concentrated sulfuric and nitric acids and upon breakdown nitrous products are released.

Page generated in 0.02392 seconds with 8 queries