View Single Post
Old March 19, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
totalloser

Progressive rifle load in single pass (custom)

I just made a custom motor assembly to fit the Dillon trim die so that you can toss tumbled range brass straight into the hopper and roll out finished cartridges in a single pass on a Loadmaster 5 stage.

The problems with the Dillon trimmer are that the motor is so huge it can't clear the powder drop, vibrates screws loose, and is DEAFENING due to the vacuum cleaner. It also presents a problem for single pass due to vibration tipping primers. A fantastic tool, but has weaknesses.

Sooo, I machined adapters for a 24volt motor 1.5" in diameter and set up a momentary switch on the center hole so it winds up right as the case is sized. this allows the use of the smaller, intermittent duty motor, and prevents vibration from tipping the primer. (the motor starts after the primer is already inserting) I also modified a RCBS lube die to take the Lee decap system so I don't break pins all the time. (drill and tap to 1/8 npt)

Here is the setup: 1. Insert/lube/decap 2. Size/prime/trim 3. charge 4. seat 5. crimp

It works REALLY fast and well. The only hitch being that the longer cases bog down the motor so you have to back it out a tad and refeed it to trim them. Really quiet, too. Pretty handily rolls out 1000 in an hour START TO FINISH.

I would post a pic but am currently to cave man to figure it out. If anyone is interested in seeing this/ trying to build it, I would be happy to figure it out. I'd love to share, it really works well. It requires a lathe, and a drill press to make the adapters for the motor (1.5" aluminum round stock) And costs a little over $100 to build. (not including Dillon die)

PICS DOWN BELOW (I FINALLY figured it out... sort of.) THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP JMORRIS!

Last edited by totalloser; March 22, 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.04875 seconds with 8 queries