View Single Post
Old April 10, 2008, 07:51 PM   #13
totalloser

Ok, the tap is a 13/16-20, and here's some pics of the hard part. Note I am spinning the tap by hand with a tailstock dead center to start it for accurate allignment. This is the only critical machining operation. The rest can be off a bit without any harm to functioning.

If you get one layed out well, you can use it as a jig as I am in the picture, to drill the bolt patterns on further pieces. It uses standard hardware store fasteners. I drilled 1/4" halfway through, and then 7/74" for the bolt shank to pass through. 1/8" will work if you are really slick at layout (I'm not) but makes little difference as the bolt head is what holds it on.

To get the bolt pattern, you kiss the center with a drill/countersink and use a compass to mark the bolt circle. With the same compass setting, you swing an arc from the edge, and keep swinging arcs from where the arcs intersect with the circle. You will have 6 points of intersection, punch 3 for your bolt pattern.

In the next couple days I will post the pics of the boring bar assembly and the rear slack adjuster, and a bill of materials. I need some goodies to finish this one. Sorry this took a bit longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4100006.JPG (125.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg P4100007.JPG (126.9 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg P4100009.JPG (137.5 KB, 231 views)

Page generated in 0.03630 seconds with 9 queries