View Single Post
Old April 13, 2008, 10:51 PM   #18
totalloser

One way around it is to use a progressive with a removable turret, and process brass in one shot, and load it in a second pass. I used to do this, and it was pretty quick. Lube/decap and size in one pass, and everything else in a second pass. I was tumbling in between, but occasionally I would find a piece of walnut media in the primer hole with this process. The fix for that was to use a lee decap die in station 1. even though they were decapped.

Another benefit to this, is if you set your decap pin to just barely push out primers, when you find a military shell that NEEDS a decrimp (most don't) the primer is left in, and you can easily see it, and set it aside. My new setup, I have to beware when I find one, as it is found as the new primer pushes it back in, and I have to take everything apart to pull the shell and (usually) damaged primer.

However, doing it the old way, I would still be able to load 1000 in about 2 hours. Pretty quick, but this new setup is literally twice as fast. The real key to taking advantage of both of these setups is to use a press that can take a case feeder. Handling the cases is the biggest PITA in the process. I found that the big motor would vibrate all sorts of fasteners loose, though. Especially the turret lock bolt.

It still kinda surprises me that people tend to shoot more pistol ammo, I absolutely LOVE hosing off .223. Shooting rocks at 100 yds and watching them blow up is immensely satisfying. Big boom too! :P Well sorta big...

Page generated in 0.03673 seconds with 8 queries