View Single Post
Old September 30, 2008, 02:15 PM   #20
totalloser

Slip- Very flattered.

Got an update; This setup WILL NOT WORK for larger cases. Found a solution, though. Problems; 1. Motor doesn't carry enough torque to not bind up on thicker, larger cases. 2. The powder drop with double disc still cannot drop an adequate charge in .308. 3. Vibration tampers with the charges.

Forget the top assembly with the tappet adjustment. Put a delrin (acetal plastic) sleeve on the motor shaft between the boring bar and the motor. Use the boring bar to push against it taking all the slop out, and tighten it down. This slop will cause chatter. Use a little grease and make sure the friction surfaces are clean and polished. *PS washers seem to work fine for the sleeve. I suspect contact would be ok between the motor housing and the boring bar shank. Much easier to do. Seems to be throwing very consistent charges now with noted exception. Less than .1 grain deviation.*

On the top where the tappet adjuster goes, put a flyweight. 2" or 1.5" diameter and about 1" thick. It must be balanced on the motor. You can do this by touching it with a grease pencil while it's spinning. The grease will contact the wheel at the heavy point, so drill out some material to balance it. This fixes problem 1.

Problem 2; Drill out a disc to 9/16", and that will allow charges in excess of 50 grains. I am throwing 47.5 grains of win 748 with 9/16 over 1.46cc

Problem 3; When the motor spins with the disc under the powder hopper, it settles the powder in the disc, creating a heavy charge. This only is possible when a shell is not being charged. So the first charge in a series will ALWAYS be heavy and must be dumped. Any time the motor spins with no case being charged, the next charge must be dumped. These dumped cases can be snuck back in at the tail of a string at the powder measure. Chatter from slop in the shaft (delrin sleeve fixes this) and vibration from the motor/flywheel greatly exacerbates this problem. Balancing the wheel helps a lot, but it WILL drop a heavy first charge, so watch out! I'll post a pic in a minute.

Oh and I found that the screw that tightens the boring bar on the carbide insert rubs a little and needs to be touched with a grinder a little to not rub the die.

Two other things; Radio shack carries a 24vdc power supply that is adequate, and a better way to lay out the bottom adapter holes is to pop the motor apart and set it on your adapter. Then just punch the marks. Much easier. I am using a RC battery plug as a qd for different turrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300106.JPG (92.8 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by totalloser; September 30, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.03658 seconds with 9 queries