View Single Post
Old October 28, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3
dogtown tom

Buy Three!!!

As you may know, the Hi Power is and always has been made by Fabrique National in Herstal, Belgium. Browning for many years was the sole US importer and marketer of FN produced firearms. Browning has never manufactured firearms, they only market them. So, in short, all Browning Hi Powers are FN's, but not all FN Hi Powers are Browning's. Although they are commonly referred to as a "Browning Hi Power" (even overseas) they are not stamped "Browning" except for those imported into the USA/Canada

Several years ago the parent company of Browning (FN) opened a US subsidiary (FNH USA) to market firearms to the law enforcement/military community (leaving Browning to focus on the sporting market). As part of that strategy they began importing Hi Powers with only the FN rollmark- no Browning rollmark. Apparantly they changed their mind because FNH USA is no longer going to import the Hi Power (Browning will continue).

This led to FNH USA discounting the FN Hi Power and flooding the market with affordable Hi Powers. CDNN (a major distributor of overstock firearms) purchased several hundred and had been selling them in the $400-450 range for the last year or so. Most distributors have sold out of the 9mm and only have the .40cal.

I bought the matte finish 9mm SFS version for $400 NIB at a gunshow in Dallas last spring. I liked it so much I bought another two weeks later. I'm still looking for the polished blue 9mm version.

Internet rumor is that FN is either dropping or dumping the Hi Power. I seriously doubt that. Marketing types pull this stuff all the time. Remember New Coke?

If I had the $$$ I would buy all I could find for $400.

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries