View Single Post
Old April 7, 2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Derek Zeanah

Thinking through the "is it a DDOS against THR" question a bit further, it still doesn't make much sense. Basically, I'm on a 10 mb/s pipe for all of my sites -- if someone's sending more than 10 megabits per second, there's a good chance packets are gonna get dropped. Well, maybe 20 megabits -- my firewall is plugged into a 10 Mbit port which should allow us to duplex.

So, it wouldn't be that hard to knock my sites offline. What we're seeing appears to be a more general failure -- my provider's got big pipes from 7-8 providers coming into his cages, and it would take a lot more to knock him offline. It's still possible (maybe the routers can't keep up with the demand if this is way more than normal traffic would predict), but if he was getting slammed that hard with an attack on THR or Oleg's site or whatever you'd think he would just blackhole the affected IP addresses so the data was dropped before it hit the local network.

For that not to work would mean a huge attack.

No-one hates us that much.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Derek Zeanah; April 7, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: wasn't clear the first time

Page generated in 0.04444 seconds with 8 queries