View Single Post
Old June 2, 2008, 10:53 AM   #20
NavyLT

1. Having lived in OKC and seen the news regarding several self-defense shootings where the outcome was "no charges filed", I think the castle doctrine and stand your ground law are both highly respected in OK, at least in OKC and there would have been plenty of case histories for an adequate defense.

2. I think the undoing of this man's case was this statement:
"I thought my life was going to end, so I pulled the trigger to stop him, not kill him," according to Gumm's written version of events. If I was the prosecution, I would have snatched that up and come back with, "So, you want us to believe that you honestly thought your life was in danger and yet your intended actions were to use less than deadly force?"

In the military I am trained that, when using a gun, there is no other intent other than to shoot to kill someone. There are no warning shots, there are no wounding shots, there are only shots fired to kill.

I think my response would have been, "I felt my life was in danger and I had no other choice but to respond with deadly force." But the best advice is still probably to never, ever make a statement to the police or to the public regarding self defense until the advise of a good lawyer with self defense case backgroung is obtained.

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries